General discussion

Flash player stopped playing videos

Hello,

All of a sudden I'm unable to view videos, whereas I was able to just the other day. I haven't installed anything major that would cause such a change; I've also uninstalled then reinstalled my Flash Player, so I'm a bit puzzled as to why it's still not working. Any ideas/resolutions?

My computer is a Dell XPS 8300 running Windows 7 (64 bit) Home Premium with Service Pack 1. My default browser is Firefox 15.0.1.

Thanks,
EK

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Flash player stopped playing videos
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Flash player stopped playing videos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
For a quick test.

Try this in Chrome. You don't have to keep Chrome but it does Flash natively so it can help diagnose this.

And let's be clear that ANY change is a change and can break stuff.
Bob

- Collapse -
Chrome installed

Thanks for the reply. I installed Chrome and the videos play, but I'm not exactly sure how it will diagnose the problem. What exactly do I need to do to repair the problem in Firefox?

The only change that was made was I downloaded a hidden object game for my younger brother and it asked for me to update my Flash Player to perform properly. I updated it and everything was fine, but yesterday I noticed videos suddenly wouldn't play on Facebook, Youtube, etc.

- Collapse -
OK, that helps a little.
- Collapse -
Still no luck

Hmm, this is really odd. When I went to the above link, I arrived at the Adobe site on the troubleshooting page, but I couldn't see their test movie, so again I had to install the Flash player. I disabled the Flash Hardware Acceleration and restarted to apply the settings, but I'm still getting an error message when I test it on YouTube, FB, etc. It seems I'm asked to install the player over and over again, which seems successful at first - with the flash movie visible - but then no video on other sites.

I can't figure out what brought this on, but I'm having no luck so far correcting it. Frustrating.

- Collapse -
Link follows.
- Collapse -
I did this

I did this, found a restore before the up date then disabled updates for the flash player. It been this way for months. Something about an error shows up then nothing but snow.

CNET Forums