Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Flash Player Download Failure

by pfmills / January 13, 2007 3:36 PM PST

Windows XP Professional SP2
Laptop HP xe4500
Live One Care

I had Norton IS 2006 but now have gone to Live One Care, since Norton decided to tell me that my subscription had expired even though I had only opened the box and installed it some 3-months ago.

With both I got the Flash Player download failure everytime the updates ran.

Now with Live Care it causes the icon to be orange and not green due to 'install missing updates'.

The error code is 0x643 and the download is KB923789.

I assume that I will have flash player else the update wouldn't try to download?

Sorry but I need a pretty basic detailed answer as to what to look for and do........Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash Player Download Failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash Player Download Failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are 16 different reasons @
by DarCLew2 / January 13, 2007 7:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Thank you looks ok now
by pfmills / January 14, 2007 5:56 AM PST

I looked at the link, however the link failed.
Went to microsoft site, found the downloads and di them manually.
All now seems ok

As I said earlier for some reason NIS decided to tell me it was a year old, however I know it had 252 days left a few days ago. Now it has none so I uninstalled it and put on Windows Live One Care. Doing a symantics check all was ok except that it told me ..No Known Anti-virus installed. It said it checks for a current version of a common product. Is it that it just doesn't reconise Live one care?

So I have Live One Care and this sufficent please?..I do internet bank on my computer. Or should I put on something like AVG?

Thanks for you help.

Thank you

Collapse -
I had problems with Windows Defender
by DarCLew2 / January 14, 2007 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you looks ok now

I use AVG Free Antivirus, and that is active from They have a 30 day trial for spyware also, after 30 days it will be grey and black squares with an s in tthe middle.
I also use: Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06 and have used it for four years now on 3 Windows 98SE, WINME & WINXP and it is Antispyware also. Another is Spybot S&D from (Antispyware). It downloads best at night. BN FileForum
& again listed at Click the Download at the top. If you see !!!checksum bad!, that is a problem. You may have to wait til later to get Spybot. If it runs okay, it may say 55083 and that is short. I have 57834 and that has to be immunized. Under Spybot S&D are 3 manual updates. It should have had: Total: 348611 fingerprints in 58163 rules for 2611 products.

Collapse -
Forgot to mention, over on left under Windows Vista.....
by DarCLew2 / January 14, 2007 12:06 PM PST

roddy32, Moderator, usually does keep all the UPDATES in Virus and security forums updated. He'll list Trojanhunter, and more and you will know when AVG Antivirus, AVG Antispyware, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, Windows Defender, superspy, Bioclean and more updates.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?