PC Applications forum

Flash player

by unclespazzy / April 1, 2014 2:45 AM PDT
Please help me, I need a flash player other than adobe. It causes my browser to crash constantly. I have searched every where I can think of and the only brand of flash player I can find is adobe. Can anyone recomend another brand or at least a place I can look for another brand. Even cnet's download page shows only adobe and no other brands. Please help. Thank you
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Flash is well, you figured it out but did you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2014 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash player

Did you disable flash hardware acceleration? They flipped that on recently and when I see flash crash I turn the off.

If you can't find an alternative flash player with google or duckduckgo, I won't either. Try the setting I noted.

Collapse -
Just in case you don't use google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2014 2:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Alternate Flash Player for Webcasting
by Live_Webcaster / May 8, 2014 3:12 PM PDT

There are several alternate flash players that can stream .flv and .mp4 (H-264) video files. The two most popular are JW Player and FlowPlayer. What's great about these two players is that they can stream a webcast for HTML5 devices like tablets and smartphones plus it has a flash fallback for computers and laptops. Do not use .flv video files if you want to webcast video streams to iPads, iPhone's and Android devices. I've used these video streaming players myself on many projects and they are superior to flash's FLVPlayback Component in that the standard flash player can not stream video to iPads, iPhone's and modern Android devices.

JW Player: http://www.jwplayer.com/

FlowPlayer: https://flowplayer.org/player/

Collapse -
I might be mistaken
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 8, 2014 6:39 PM PDT

but I feel the OP is/was asking for an alternative to the Flash player browser plugin to watch video on existing video web sites.

Your post appears to be suggesting alternatives to Flash that can be used at the web site design stage to stream video. As far as I am aware, if a web site is designed using Flash to stream video, a user cannot use any other player type to watch those videos. There is no HTML coding within the web page to allow for any other player plugin to be used.

The only alternative I can see is for the OP to download the video and then play it on a player of his choice. But downloading may not be possible on some video web sites.

Collapse -
flash player that will work for video streaming
by Live_Webcaster / May 9, 2014 5:36 PM PDT

One thing that I'm pretty positive will work is download the other two popular browsers and try installing the flash plugin to them one at a time. When you find the one that works with the flash plugin make it your default browser and uninstall the other two. But it's always good practice to have at least two browsers installed in your computer anyway.
Make sure you reboot your computer after each installation.

Collapse -
by Kevin914 / January 8, 2015 4:53 PM PST

Here a new adobe flash player, which is better than old one

Collapse -
Re: new flash player
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 8, 2015 5:03 PM PST
In reply to: Hm

Can you explain what a "new adobe flash player" is, why it is better, and why it helps the OP who wants a non-adobe player?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?