Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Flash Player

by speighty1 / May 10, 2008 5:50 AM PDT

I have a compaq c300ea laptop with xp media center 2005 installed, the problem i am having is on certain websites the flash player wont work even though it is installed, i am using ie7. Youtube and will work fine but the main site i wanted it to work on it doesnt. I buy my music from but before i do i like to sample it but this requires the flash player, for some reason it wont work, below the front cover of an album there is a red circle that is meant to have a play button there but i cant see it, when i press it i just get a stop button and no sound.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and installing the standalone player but non of of that has worked, i have also looked at the security and the activex is enabled.

Can anyone help, it is really buggin me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try ...
by Kees Bakker / May 10, 2008 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash Player

download and install Firefox from That's another browser. Then install Flash into it. Might work.

Sometimes it's easier to use something that works than to find out why something else doesn't work.

Collapse -
Already tried
by speighty1 / May 10, 2008 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Try ...

I forgot to mention that, i have tried firefox and opera, they are all giving me the same error.

Collapse -
What I would try next.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 7:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Already tried

Adobe's Flash Player is a feisty little beast, as is Adobe's Shockwave Player. It seems Adobe is the common denominator here.

I would uninstall Flash Player completely from the system using Adobe's specific uninstall procedures here;

Then I would revisit Adobe to reinstall it.

However, whilst Adobe recommends rebooting a browser like IE before reinstalling, I would go further and reboot the computer after the uninstall and before reinstalling. This removes any active registry entries.

See if that helps.

Collapse -
Sometimes I've had the impression ...
by Kees Bakker / May 10, 2008 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: What I would try next.

that antivirus (like McAfee) interferes with installing Flash. Try it with your antivirus disabled.

Collapse -
Which version of Flash Player?
by Carol~ Moderator / May 11, 2008 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash Player

Your post caught my eye. A day after installing the lastest version of FP ( on April 9th, I had cause to go a web site where I have a membership to use their e-cards (Jacquie Lawson). The site requires FP and the cards weren't working as they had the previous week. I got in contact with a member of their technical team and made him aware of the problem. After a week's worth of correspondence, they realized it wasn't a problem with their site, but the newest version of Flash which caused the problem. They were forced to make adjustments on their end.

I just went to When I got to an album cover and the red button, as you described, I got the same results as you. Or at least I think I did. (See below) Perhaps someone else can try it? If you DO have the latest version, and it's that important to you, why not try installing an older version, to see if the problem persists? I don't know how far you're willing to go, or how important it is, but here are some of the older versions of Flash from Adobe. (The last one was Here's Flash Player's most recent uninstaller, if you're interested.

But first. Is this where/what you were referring to?

If all else fails, I would contact them. This is where they suggest you "report a technical fault with the site":

Something to consider..and best of luck if the above doesn't apply.

Collapse -
(NT) More appropriately the "latest" version & not "lastest":D
by Carol~ Moderator / May 11, 2008 12:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Same problem - resolved by going back a version v9r115
by whiteduck22 / June 8, 2008 2:06 AM PDT

I had the same problem with not being able to preview MP3s in Firefox and IE on Vista. I contacted technical support but so far haven't received a response.

However I managed to fix the problem by moving back to the previous version 9r115 - installing the standard win and the winax (ActiveX) versions. (99Mb)

Shame neither Adobe nor have acknowledged this fault.
Good luck!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?