Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Flash drives must be getting cheap ...

by Bill Osler / March 5, 2010 10:18 AM PST

I spent the day at a conference in Charlotte today. Instead of giving us the usual printed handouts they gave everybody a 2 GB flash drive with the handouts on the drive. Not that they needed that big a drive.

Most of the rest of the conference was fairly low budget, so either somebody gave the sponsors a bunch of flash drives or the price has gone WAY down. Printing and collating a bunch of handouts isn't exactly free, but it doesn't seem like it would be very expensive.

I'm not complaining at all. I am certainly more likely to find a use for the drive than for a pile of papers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash drives must be getting cheap ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash drives must be getting cheap ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes they are getting cheap
by Mike_Hanks / March 5, 2010 10:29 AM PST

They probably got a great bulk deal on them
Run a virus scan before you use it at home or the office !!!!

Collapse -
Not that unusual...
by EdHannigan / March 5, 2010 11:12 AM PST

My wife sells computers and software to corporate and institutional clients. We get free flash drives quite often. They are very cheap these days.

The first one I bought years ago was a 256 MB Sandisk Cruzer mini, and I paid $60 for it!

Collapse -
I still have
by James Denison / March 5, 2010 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Not that unusual...

a 64 MB drive I paid about $30 for a few years ago. Now all it contains is a floppy emulated bootup and some utility files if/when I need them.

Collapse -
My oldest is a 32mb....
by C1ay / March 6, 2010 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: I still have

I got around 10 years ago for about a $100, the same price I paid last week for a 32GB model; a thousand fold increase in storage for the money in 10 years.

Collapse -
depreciation worse than automobiles
by James Denison / March 6, 2010 6:45 AM PST

And that's for something that works as well as it did when bought. That would be like a $20,000 car being worth only $20 ten years down the road. Even smashed up it would bring more than that for scrap metal. Also the new drives have much faster flash memory in them.

Collapse -
Promos
by Willy / March 5, 2010 11:32 AM PST

I've seen some ads in the trade papers where you can buy flash drives, put your logo on it and then I guess hand them out, etc. to promote whatever. Of course the less storage, the cheaper they are and it makes an impact. Well, its batter than a keychain and some do come in keyring, LED light, golf ball, letter opener, you name it, probably a chance it'll be available or offered.

I remember some yrs. back my boss gave me a 16mb flash drive. I thought, I hit the jackpot. It lasted only a few weeks, it was given back to calm a peeved customer for the boss's sake(not me), I later got a replacement and free lunch(I think). I already had the co. car. Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
this week's special
by James Denison / March 5, 2010 1:08 PM PST

at our local Staples is a 4GB PNY attache type flash drive (my preference) for under $10. Sale starts sunday and I plan to pick up a couple since I also needed CD-R discs which are also on sale.

Another thing I do is buy flash chips for cameras and use in pocket sized readers since they are dual purpose, both for camera and for other data.

Collapse -
We got one when we bought a mattress set last year
by Steven Haninger / March 5, 2010 7:20 PM PST

It was of rather small capacity and set up to autorun and connect to the manufacturer's web site for such as warranty information, etc. I tossed it. I should have kept it as I've since learned how to format and make these things bootable to do such as BIOS updates and run other DOS type utilities. We've gotten them with a couple of software purchases. The first one I bought for my wife was a Sandisk 1gb a few years back. I waited for the price to drop below 100 bucks before buying. This capacity and more is what the free ones can come with.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.