Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Flash Drive Question

by eo_98250 / May 21, 2006 2:55 PM PDT

My husband needs to take a great deal of music with him in the most portable way possible and play it back on his laptop. Would a new laptop with a bigger hd be a better choice than a USB flash drive? The reason we were thinking the USB instead of a new laptop was the ease of transferring the music files from the computer he uses in his recording studio.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash Drive Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash Drive Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not an external hard drive?
by John.Wilkinson / May 22, 2006 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash Drive Question

A flash drive would be fine, but not ideal for a large music collection...1GB flash drives are the most common, and a 4GB flash drive can be pretty expensive. Instead, I'd suggest an external hard drive. For the price of a 4GB flash drive you can get a 60GB+ external hard drive that plugs into your USB port. While not quite as portable (unless it's a mini drive it won't fit in your pocket), it's a much better value.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks, John
by eo_98250 / May 24, 2006 12:07 PM PDT

I think we have decided on a new laptop for him, probably a bare bones model because it will be used exclusively for music tracks and recording music. My current laptop is only 15 gig which sounded huge at the time but now seems pretty dinky. It doesn't seem slow to me but it might be too slow for what he needs. He will be using his music in a one man band show and a new laptop would also give him the ability to hook up his recording studio equipment. Besides, I am always in favor of more and faster computers!

Collapse -
Other alternative....
by steve749 / May 24, 2006 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Flash Drive Question

Why not use a MP3 player with a big hard drive like a Zen Creative Nomad? That would be my choice as then it could play on any computer with the software. There are likely other players that sport similarly large drives in them.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Yes, That Would Work...
by eo_98250 / May 24, 2006 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Other alternative....

We did talk about an iPod or mp3 player but I think the added ability of using his recording software on a computer would be worth the additional investment. Currently his computer is about 4 years old so the speed and quality of a newer computer might be an added bonus.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!