General discussion

flash drive only works without wireless

I managed to find other people with this problem online, but only a workaround to "solve" it and not an actual solution.
It started out (I think it was after I had updated to SP3) that whenever I plugged in a flash drive, the system would only "partially" recognize it. Sometimes it would show up in device manager or remove hardware but not in my computer. Sometime it would show up in My Computer but the drive name would not be recognized. And forget about trying to get any information off of it.....
Anyway, apparently the problem is some sort of bug in XP that screws up the drive naming(???), which is very odd because both flash drives work just fine on another XP system. I even reverted back to SP2 to try and correct the problem - no go.
I also tried one of the suggestions I found, which is to physically assign the flash drive a drive letter in Drive manager but to no avail.
Anyway, the only thing that seems to work, is if I right-click my wireless connection icon on bottom right and disable it. With wireless network disabled flash drives load just fine. Sure, I could continue doing this - but its a royal pain in the a@@.
Anybody have any ideas for a fix?
Thanks......

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: flash drive only works without wireless
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: flash drive only works without wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Is your wireless plugged into a USB port?

If so, its power consumption could be your issue. If that's not the case, I've no clue. Good luck.

- Collapse -
yep

Yes, its a TP-Link 54mbps USB wireless adapter - I had used it in the past with flash drives without any problem....?

- Collapse -
Key words there are "in the past" ...

you stated - "Anyway, apparently the problem is some sort of bug in XP that screws up the drive naming(???), which is very odd because both flash drives work just fine on another XP system. "

I assume that they work on the other system WITHOUT the TP-Link 54mbps USB wireless adapter installed on it. Try installing the TP-Link 54mbps USB wireless adapter on that other system then see if the flash drives you are having problems with still work.

Not all flash drives are created equal and often one type works well all the time while another type only works if you cross your fingers, stick out your tongue and hold your head at just the right angle. Wink

- Collapse -
Is this a desktop?

I've seen that issue on the front USB ports for years. While I have had some luck with replacing the wiring (the old wiring is USB 1.x speed) with USB 2.0 rated cables it's painful and expensive.

Try the rear USB ports.

And if this was a laptop, I missed it in your first post.
Bob

- Collapse -
Sorry,forgot

Sorry guys, yes - this is a desktop.
And I also forgot to mention that I had come across the idea of using the rear plugs, as the front ones don't always have enough "juice" - tried it, no go.
It seems like its an issue with the TP-Link, but is there a way to fix it?(short of buying a new wireless adapter)

- Collapse -
Sorry no.

The usual here is that I've swapped out such units and the other unit works. Since the drivers and more are not open source we can't fix this unit.

There is one old trick worth trying. Stick one or the other USB device on some USB hub. Sometimes this works.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info