Storage forum

General discussion

FLASH drive not detected on laptop's usb 2.0 port

by MousePotato / May 30, 2005 3:10 PM PDT

I'm trying to use a new 256MB FLASH drive on my laptop, but it is only detected on one of its usb 1.1 ports. In other words, it is never detected on any of the 4 usb 2.0 ports of my PCMCIA card. So I cannot run it on the laptop at optimal speed.

However, it is correctly detected and works fine on my desktop's usb 2.0 ports. And everything else, including the printer, runs fine on the laptop's PCMCIA usb 2.0 card.

Without a driver disk, how can I get the drive to run on the laptop's usb 2.0 ports?

Laptop OS: Win XP - Pro
FLASH Drive: Memorex 256MB usb 2.0(unsure of model no.)
--David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FLASH drive not detected on laptop's usb 2.0 port
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FLASH drive not detected on laptop's usb 2.0 port
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2005 9:21 PM PDT

USB 2.0 is not supported in the OS you noted.

Bob

Collapse -
FLASH drive not detected
by MousePotato / May 31, 2005 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: One thing.

On the same PCMCIA card (four usb 2.0 ports), my printer runs fine at full speed. But none of those four ports detects my FLASH drive.

So are you saying that no external usb 2.0 DRIVE is supported on WinXP Pro?

--David

Collapse -
USB 2.0 didn't show up until SP1.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2005 4:12 AM PDT

You noted just XP Pro.

If was just a detail you left out, try telling about the laptop make/model. Some have only USB 1.1 and some require a driver that Microsoft will not supply for you.

Bob

Collapse -
Specs of my laptop
by MousePotato / May 31, 2005 7:51 AM PDT

My laptop is an IBM ThinkPad i1300, model 1171-NM1. And the usb hub is an NEC 4-port usb 2.0 PCMCIA card.

And I installed the WinXP Service Pack I over a year ago. As a matter of fact, I've installed every Win update except SP2.

But, so far, neither my FLASH drive, nor my connected external HDD enclosure, nor my wireless mouse adapter have been detected on any of the card's ports.

--David

Collapse -
From specs I read...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2005 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Specs of my laptop

This model laptop has only USB 1.1 ports on the machine.

There are many reasons for the onboard ports to not work. The most common being the OS is not factory installed. Too many can't find the "motherboard drivers."

As to the service packs, that's good you have at least SP1, but don't leave out details like that in your posts.

Bob

Collapse -
My usb 1.1's vs the usb 2.0's
by MousePotato / May 31, 2005 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: From specs I read...

The onboard usb 1.1 ports work fine. But the problem I'm having is getting the 4-port PCMCIA usb 2.0 card to work and allow all things to run at full speed.

My Canon printer runs fine on the card's usb 2.0 ports, but the usb 2.0 FLASH drive is only detected and enabled on the laptop's onboard usb 1.1 ports. IOW, the FLASH drive runs fine on my desktop's usb 2.0 card, but not on the laptop's usb 2.0 PCMCIA card.

--David

Collapse -
Nailing down the problem statement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2005 9:24 PM PDT

No problem, but your statements are moving around as to what the issue is. I compared your first post with this one and .. it doesn't match.

HOWEVER, the issue still smells of an OS installed by someone else than the factory. Some motherboard or card driver is the usual cause. And reviewing a few posts didn't reveal who installed the OS.

-> Why the lack of detail in your posts? In your first post you omitted the Service Pack. I may have missed it, but no word about who installed the OS, what drivers they fetched and how/where the drivers were obtained/from. Too many think Microsoft does this.

Best of luck.

Bob

Collapse -
OS Installer
by MousePotato / June 2, 2005 1:59 PM PDT

I installed WinXP Pro as an upgrade from 98SE, and it's still in FAT32 format.

--David

Collapse -
YES!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2005 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: OS Installer

That explains it. Such an install will not result in many laptop USB ports working. And sometimes the PC-Card slot may be flighty.

Fix? Get the latest BIOS and Motherboard drivers from the laptop maker. If they don't offer XP drivers, you go back to the OS that works.

In closing, it doesn't matter what file system is in use.

Bob

Collapse -
System compatibility
by MousePotato / June 4, 2005 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: YES!!!

Are you saying that I might need to change the system from FAT32 to NTFS? If so, will I have to uninstall and reinstall WinXP, or can the system be upgraded (maybe with the WinXP setup disk) by only over-writing Windows or maybe using a tweak utility?

I was guessing that everything was compatible since the usb 2.0 printer runs ok on the laptop's PCMCIA and the FLASH drive runs fine on the desktop's usb 2.0 PCI card.

BTW, the desktop (with Win2K Pro) and the laptop (with WinXP Pro) have 2 things in common: Both are running on FAT32 systems, and both are also upgrades from Win98 SE.

--David

Collapse -
Rereply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2005 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: System compatibility

''Are you saying that I might need to change the system from FAT32 to NTFS? If so, will I have to uninstall and reinstall WinXP, or can the system be upgraded (maybe with the WinXP setup disk) by only over-writing Windows or maybe using a tweak utility?''

I wrote ''it doesn't matter what file system is in use.'' In a word. NO.

''I was guessing that everything was compatible since the usb 2.0 printer runs ok on the laptop's PCMCIA and the FLASH drive runs fine on the desktop's usb 2.0 PCI card.''

I know too much about ''motherboard drivers.'' In short, your OS install is complete enough for the PC-Card but not complete enough for the other ports.

''BTW, the desktop (with Win2K Pro) and the laptop (with WinXP Pro) have 2 things in common: Both are running on FAT32 systems, and both are also upgrades from Win98 SE.''

Yes, and no one tells you about all the drivers you have to find to make it all work proper. I did.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?