Computer Help forum

General discussion

Flash Audio Won't Load on Webpages

This is first post here so I'm sorry if I left out any important info. A few months ago I noticed that certain websites that have streaming audio aren't loading properly. For example, myspace, AOL music, and rhapsody. I've used these sites for a while but they all started giving me errors around the same time. On rhapsody, the Rhapsody Player Engine pops up and closes itself immediately when I click on a song. On myspace, the music player app isn't loaded at all. All I get is an animated myspace logo in it's place. On AOL music, when go the "Full CD Listening Parties" section, it doesn't load the music player and tells me that I don't have the latest version of Flash installed. I do have the newest version and I've reinstalled it many times. I've even tried older versions, no luck.

Even though I don't remember making any changes to my pc when this occured, I still tried disabling my ad/pop up blockers and accepting all cookies. Here's the strangest part though. I've been using IE7 so I tried FF and I got the same problem. Then I tried Chrome recently and on a fresh install with all the default settings, same problem. In all other cases, audio works fine. Playing files locally and even on video sites like youtube and google, no problems. I'm using XP SP3 and I have a Linksys router with no other firewall software installed. Can anyone give me an idea as to what could be causing this? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash Audio Won't Load on Webpages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash Audio Won't Load on Webpages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
'Rhapsody Player Engine' Is Part Of RealPlayer

In reply to: Flash Audio Won't Load on Webpages

If RealPlayer is your default player for the problem websites, it's possible that you need to uninstall, then reinstall the newest version..

IN addition, have you tried fully uninstalling Flash, then reinstalling it? If not, then follow the instructions below:

First, uninstall Flash by using the Flash Uninstaller at the link below..

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157

After that's done, then download the manual Flash player installer from the link below.. Download it to your desktop and Run it to install the newest Flash for Internet Explorer. (Clicking on the link below will immediately bring up the download dialogue box.)

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe

Once that's done, if you're also using Firefox, visit the site below while in Firefox, then download and run the Flash plugin installer

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&%3BLang=French&%3BP5_Language=French

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Problem Resolved

In reply to: 'Rhapsody Player Engine' Is Part Of RealPlayer

I upgraded Realplayer to version 11, I had version 10.5 already so I don't think it was so old that it would be causing a problem but I wanted to make sure. It wasn't set to be the default player even before the upgrade though. The only file types Realplayer is associated with are: ssm, 2gp, amr, awb, and 3g2. It says that flv's are assigned to "microsoft operating system". Are flv's also used for flash audio or is it some other file type? I also noticed when I was looking in the Realplayer preferences that there are a couple file types that aren't associated with anything: m4p, mpega, acp, and something called Realplayer Legacy Audio CD. Does that matter? Nevertheless, after updating Realplayer, I went back to rhapsody.com and the problem changed somewhat. Now, instead of the small Rhapsody Player Engine opening and closing itself immediately, all I get is a small balloon tip over top of the sign in link when I click it that says "Privacy Policy/Terms and Conditions/Close". If I look in my IE addons, it says that "RhapsodyPlayerEngineCtrl Class" is enabled though.

To be honest, I'm more concerned with sites like myspace and AOL music. I'm still able to listen to Rhapsody becuase I downloaded the stand alone Rhapsody app and that does work. I've uninstalled Flash because I've done a lot of searches online since I started getting this problem and I've seen that recommended. I also tried installing an older version of Flash from a backup of mine that I know worked in the past but now it doesn't for some reason. That tells me that the problem is of a larger scope than Flash itself. It also can't be a browser settings issue because the same problem exists in Firefox and Chrome as well. I thought it was a router/firewall issue but I have another pc on my home network that displays the sites correctly so the only thing I can think of is that it's a setting in XP itself. Maybe a damaged registry key or some setting on XP that is blocking some streaming audio, becasue it's not every site. For example, napster, last.fm, and pandora.com still work...

Okay, now I feel dumb. As I was checking those sites while writing this to make sure they in fact work, I got a message on pandora.com saying that I needed to enable 3rd party Flash content to be stored on my pc. So I went to the Flash website and turned it on. I guess I must have turned it off a while back by accident. A lot of times the Flash settings pop up when I accidentally right click on something and I guess I must have unchecked that. Well long story short, it worked. All the sites play audio now, including rhapsody. I was going to delete those last two paragraphs but I thought whoever reads it would get a kick out of my stupidity. It's always the most obvious thing you forget to check, isn't it? Well thanks anyway, Grif. Happy Should I delete this post or mark it resolved or anything?

Collapse -
Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back !

In reply to: Problem Resolved

Nothing else needed.

Grif

Collapse -
Enabling 3rd party Flash content to be stored on PC

In reply to: Problem Resolved

Same problem with AOL's Full CD Listening Party. Please tell me how to enable 3rd party Flash content to be stored on my PC. I couldn't find that option under Internet Properties settings (IE, Advanced).

Collapse -
Tried It This Way?

In reply to: Enabling 3rd party Flash content to be stored on PC

Collapse -
Fixed CD listening party

In reply to: Tried It This Way?

Fixed my problem. Thank you very much!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.