Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Flag Flap

MUNCIE, Ind. ? Do you have the right to fly the American flag wherever you like?

Not if you?re living at a campground operated by the city of Muncie, Ind. (search), where the mayor has issued an executive order, effective immediately, requiring the removal of all flags at the Prairie Creek Reservoir (search) campsite...

More....

AIR the 1st amendment says that Congress shall make no law abridging the right of free speech and nothing about prohibiting the city of Muncie, IN from doing so. What do you think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flag Flap
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flag Flap
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Flag Flap

In reply to: Flag Flap

I think you are fortunate the flying of the nation flag is so widely and freely permitted. Here it is tightly controlled, and unless it is on or before an official building (local or central or govt.), special consent is required.

Collapse -
"Here it is tightly controlled"

In reply to: Re: Flag Flap

Where is "here", please?

Regards, Doug in New Mexico ("New Mexico USA" it says on our license plates, because many outsiders aren't sure!)

Collapse -
Re: Flag Flap

Hi, Clay.

This is also an issue in many communities where deed restrictions are involved. One Houston Community has taken resident to court for using "commerical" (vertical) flagpoles instead of the angled brackets on the house allowed by the rules. Personally, I think that most such restrictions shouldn't apply to the US Flag -- though if my neighbor put up a flagpole with one of those really huge flags flown at many banks and auto dealerships, I'd want something done about it. But then, they haven't done anything about him painting his house lavender Sad

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
No guarantees

States' rights issue? Happy

Seriously: Since he seems to be aiming at a particular public park site, I'm guessing the Mayor is pre-empting a problem. E.g. left vs. right rally that might turn ugly. (I didn't read the article, myself.) They can still fly the flag in Muncie proper, right?

"What do you think?" I think it's a mistake to look to a piece of paper to give any freedom. U.S. history is full of examples to the contrary. (Black voting rights; actual freedom of Jehovah's Witnesses/Mormons/Roman Catholics to worship; etc. etc.)

I have a funny/sad incident relative to religious freedom, observed first-hand, from smalltown America if you're interested sometime. BTW you probably know what a close call it was to get the Bill of Rights into the Constitution in the first place.

Death and taxes, otherwise no guarantees in the world we live in.

Regards, Doug in New Mexico (which is in the USA ... sometimes.)

Collapse -
Re: No guarantees

In reply to: No guarantees

Collapse -
Somebody has to support ...

In reply to: Re: No guarantees

Politicians, fat cats, forum moderators ... Happy

Regards, Doug in New Mexico (where food and prescriptions are taxed!!)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.