HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Fixing Win XP Pro after Trojan Attack

by labogart / July 11, 2005 2:01 PM PDT

I got attacked by a trojan virus in mid june and caught it before it messed up my computer completely. However, I can't run regedit to clean up some of the problems. Can some one give me some hints as to how to clean this up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fixing Win XP Pro after Trojan Attack
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fixing Win XP Pro after Trojan Attack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
suggest you 'repair' your O/S
by dawillie / July 11, 2005 4:02 PM PDT

boot from CD and at some point you will be asked to 'install' or 'repair'.

choose the latter and follow the prompts.

david

Collapse -
Two things
by Yew / July 11, 2005 10:08 PM PDT

First, trojans and viruses are two entirely different things. May as well toss worms in there two. That, and the fact that all three are bad, is about all you need to know about them.

Except that the only absolutely sure way to be sure you're rid of a trojan is to format. Otherwise, you never know if it left some other little present on your system in some place that virus scanners can't search (like the system restore area), or maybe it altered your virus scanner to hide itself from detection. You can never know for sure until you format. This applies to whatever system you're dealing with as well... Windows, Mac, Unix workstation/server... There's never a way to be absolutely sure something's gone without formatting.

Collapse -
I agree. Repair is "iffy."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2005 10:48 PM PDT

Microsoft's repair tools (repair install, SFC and other items) as well as 3rd party tools (you name it) may never put the OS back together proper. I can go on as to why, but must note that without the name of the trojan I can't comment if it's damage was light, dark or "toast."

Bob

Collapse -
which is one of the reasons I suggested repair mode.
by dawillie / July 12, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

if we knew the exact path of the Trojan we may have been able to correct functionality using Move on Boot.

Collapse -
I'll try repair mode
by labogart / July 12, 2005 10:56 AM PDT

first. I don't remember the name of the trojan, but it came out around June 10/11 and was a file attachment (.exe) from a trusted site. The e-mail address was hijacked.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.