General discussion

Fix for TI Integrated FlashMedia Reader to work with SDHC

I have an HP Pavillion dv8000 series laptop that has a Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia card reader in it, but found when I purchased a 16GB SDHC memory card, my computer would not even recognize the card at all. After many hours of searching the net, and many wrong attempts at getting the TI card reader and Windows XP SP2 to properly read my high capacity SD card, I finally got it to work, hopefully this info will save someone from having to spend all the time I had to in order to get this to work... but rest assured, the TI intergrated card reader will work with SDHC memory cards after doing installing these fixes.

First thing that needs to be done is to obtain the Windoows XP HotFix which is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923293

You will have to click on the link given on the above page to request this HotFix, and choose your Language, Operating system, and processor type, and Microsoft will email you the HotFix and give you a password that is needed to unzip the HotFix file... they sent it to me within about 30 minutes of my request. Apparently Windows XP can't read SDHC memory cards without this, even if you do have a compatible card reader. Once you recieve this file, install it.

Next, you need to obtain the latest TI Integrated FlashMedia card reader (which by the way, HP did NOT have listed for my model of computer). The driver version is 2.0.0.7 A, and can be downloaded at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-47670-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&dlc=en&lang=en

Now this driver says it's for Vista, but I assure you it works fine with Windows XP... as a matter of fact, the previous version of the TI FlashMedia software (2.0.0.6 A), simply will NOT support my 16GB memory card. Download the TI driver and install it, and upon rebootting your computer after installing these two fixes, you'll hopefully find you computer can now use the SDHC memory cards!

I suspect this TI driver and windows fix will probably work for any computers that have the intergrated TI FlashMedia card reader in it, but can't say for sure since I have only confirmed it got my HP dv8000 series notebook computer working with the SDHC card.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Fix for TI Integrated FlashMedia Reader to work with SDHC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Fix for TI Integrated FlashMedia Reader to work with SDHC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
There is ONE final step you forgot that will fix this...

Bob,

First... EXCELLENT JOB with the fix on this! If it wasn't for you and the concise procedural outline you've posted here I would have NEVER been able to fix this!

Second, it was from the previous forum/postfix that I had bookmarked that also finally made this work and the LAST step I needed to do in order to make it work when I was done applying your steps.

I have an HP dv5000 from September of 2006. Here is the final step:

Run regedit. Key you want to edit is located in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\tifm21\Parameters
Original Key Value: SDParam = 16 (Decimal)
New Key Value: SDParam = 1

That's what made it work for me on the next reboot!!!

I am going to post this, along with your steps, on as many forums as possible so people can get this working to. Unfortunately, Microsoft locks up that hotfix so I will be zip the files I extracted from them and host them for free elsewhere.

Thank you again!!! You made my Christmas this year!

Regards,
One computer geek to another!!!

- Collapse -
Interesting

it's interesting that changing the registry entry was necessary to get the card to work for you. Before finding the fix I outlined, I had tried that registry edit and it didn't work, but I had left the entry changed to 1 when I first ran the fixes discussed in my original post. At first it seemed everything was working fine, as I could then write to my 16GB memory card... but I very quickly found out that upon taking the card out of the slot and re-inserting it, the data would then be completely corrupted and unreadable. I reformatted the card a few times and would write new data to it several times as a test and every time, the data would show as corrupted when I'd remove and re-insert the card.

I remembered I had made the registry edit you mentioned, so I went back and changed that registry entry back to the original entry of 16 and re-booted. This completely corrected my problem and I can now write to the card and the data stays good no matter how many times I remove the card. I had assumed that the registry entry was just simply not necessary which is why I did not include it in my post... but maybe it is for certain SD cards... not sure... but anyone changing that value needs to do some test writing data to the card and then removing it, and re-inserting it to make sure the data is still good if they change that registry entry, because in my case changing the value to 1 did not work! Might want to include this with your post too!

- Collapse -
Acer Ferrari 5000 TI PCIxx12 driver SDHC

This 2.0.0.7 A TIPCIxx12 driver download from HP also also allowed my Acer Ferrari 5005/Vista 32bit which has the same 5 in 1 card reader as the YOUR hp MACHINE to read SDHC cards. Prior to installing the new driver SDHC cards were not recognized. After installing SDHC cards worked fine. No registry modifications were needed. -B

- Collapse -
update the driver form hp
- Collapse -
Works with Vista too

I have a Gateway with a built in PCIxx12 flashmedia controller and an SDHC card running Vista Business. Even with Gateway's updated, dedicated vista driver, I could not access the card. However, after installing these drivers, it worked perfectly-no registry hacks or anything needed beyond the driver install.

Thanks for the great advice!

- Collapse -
Works like a charm on Compaq nc6320

The integrated flashmedia reader of my HP Compaq nc6320 (XPSP2) wouldn't recognise my new EMTEC 4GB SDHC card. I followed your instructions, no changes to the registry and it now works. Thanks for the info!

Pierre

- Collapse -
change language at ferrari acer 5005

I HAVE A PROBLEM CHANGING THE LANGUAGE ON THE FERRARI ACER 5005 THAT I GOT. IT'S ON GERMAN AND I WHANT TO TURN IT TO ENGLΙSH. I'VE BEING TRYING TO DO THAT FOR A MONTH BUT DIDN'T MADE IT. IS THERE ANY VIDEO THAT HAS SOME WALKTHROUGH THAT I CAN SEE? OR MABE SOMEONE CAN TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

- Collapse -
This thread is titled "Fix for TI Integrated FlashMedia Read

"Fix for TI Integrated FlashMedia Reader to work with SDHC"

I suggest you start a new discussion on at the very least find a discussion that matches what you want to discuss.

Be sure not to type in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS because it's considered SHOUTING!
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info