Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Fix for error code 646

HELP! My Sony VAIO laptop is running Vista. I have 7 updates for my Microsoft Office 2003 that keep failing with the error code 646. Is there a fix for this. It is becoming very annoying. In addition my Google searches don't always work and I get returned to my Google home page. Could these items be related? I have already disabled my fire walls for both Windows and my Trend Micro PCcillin. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

Paul

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fix for error code 646
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fix for error code 646
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This might help

In reply to: Fix for error code 646

This is a Microsoft form post:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vistawu/thread/6e716883-7af4-4a9f-8665-2f4dd57eee8d

It is on the Error code 646.

Basically you will have to do a manual update for your PC.

Also You may want to run a Anti-malware scan. I am Basing that on the fact that you stated 'my Google searches don't always work and I always return to my Google home page'

I notice that you have stated that you have disable your firewalls. You should not have two firewalls installed at any one time. If you are going to use a firewall, pick one and leave the other one off.

manmur

Collapse -
Error code 646

In reply to: This might help

Manmur,

I have disabled both the Windows Firewall and the Trend Micro PCcillin Firewall. I have always run my computers with NO Firewalls activated. My desktop is a Sony VAIO Media Center running Windows XP. I have NO problems on the desktop. It is my Sony VAIO laptop running Windows Vista that is acting up. And I didn't say that all my Google searches return to the Google home page just some of them. I have Microsoft Office 2003 loaded on my laptop and the updates are related to that program. Is there an Anti-Malware program you would suggest running? Wouldn't my Anti-Virus program do that? I don't even know what malware is! LOL

Paul

Collapse -
Malware

In reply to: Error code 646

Paul

It is highly recommend that you use a firewall. As I have stated that you should only run one. It prevents any Malware from getting on to your PC.

Could you tell me what you were trying to search that goes back to you homepage?

Malware (malicious software)is in simple terms 'Spyware, Ad-ware, and Viruses'. I recommend Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. However your currant program (Trend Micro) should work fine.

Personally, I do not use Microsoft Office ( I have 2007). I use Openoffice.

BTW did my link in my last post helped you at all?

manmur

Collapse -
error code 646

In reply to: Malware

Manmur,

I have viewed the link you provided but all of those updates are for MS Office 2007. I am running MS Office 2003. I have taken your suggestion and activated one firewall. I chose the one from Trend Micro. I am going to scan my computer now and see if that helps. Thank you for being patient with me, as I am not very computer savvy. I will let you know if the scan worked or not.

Paul

Collapse -
Error code 646

In reply to: error code 646

Paul

I did know that it was for Office 2007. The Fixes they suggested you will have to do a manual update of Office 2003. You should be able to do so by this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productId=4289ae77-4cba-4a75-86f3-9ff96f68e491&stype=n_pf

The above link should take you to the office download page. You will have to do a search for your missing updates.

It is no problem. I like helping others. Even if it takes days to get problem fixed. That is the amount of patient that I have.

Manmur

Collapse -
error code 646

Manmur,

I went to the link you provided and selected the update Service Pack 3 for Office 2003. I ran it and it cam back that it was already installed. So what do I do now? If this is an attempt by MS to update a version of Office (i.e. 2007) that I don't have how do I stop MS from attempting to update a version I don't have?

Paul

Collapse -
Updates

Paul

It should not be trying to update to Office 2007. So is it that one update that is giving you that error code 646?

I think on XP, you can uncheck the box for the updates which is giving you problems nor don't need. It should stop the update. At lest on Vista you are able to do so.

BTW how did your scan go?

Manmur

Collapse -
error code 646

In reply to: Updates

Manmur,

This is REALLY pissing me off! LOL MS is trying to updade MS Office 2003 with the following 7 updates:
Excel 2003 (KB982311)
Publisher 2003 (KB982122)
Word 2003 (KB982134)
Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB983503)
Powerpoint 2003 (KB982157)
Info Path 2003 (KB980923)
Office 2003 (KB982311)

ALL have failed with the error code 646. What do I do NOW?

As for my complete computer malware scan, after activating my Trend Micro Firewall, only 12 threats were detected and remedied. I am at a loss as to what to do. Again, thank you for your patience.

Paul

Collapse -
MS Updates

Paul

Even I will be pissed off if this was happening to me. LOL

Did you try to the other updates on the site I posted before with the MS downloads? If you did, did they all say they were already installed?

In order to see the updates that you have installed on your PC thy this link out. It should take you to the Microsoft update page for your system. Or go to System update on your PC

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Once there, go under "Other Options". Then select 'View Installation History'. It should show you all of the updates on your PC.

Also did you try to do updates on 'Safe-mode with Networking'?

Right now even I am running out of Ideas as to why you are having problems. I am surprised that nobody else have posted to help you as they might know something that I do not know. I am tracking this thread until you have this problem fixed. I know that there is a Microsoft Outreach Team member on these forms.

I hope that you can get this fixed Soon. Also I will do some research in my spare time as to why this is happening to you. I will provide a link (or Links) on any information I find useful to you in a later post.

Good luck!
Manmur

Collapse -
Error code 646

In reply to: MS Updates

Manmur,

I am beginning to think that the problem is with Internet Explorer 8. Like I said earlier at times when I do a Google search it sometimes returns to my Google Homepage. However, when I do the exact same Google search in Firefox it immediately comes up with the results of the search. What do you think?

Paul

Collapse -
IE 8

Paul

I think you are right. Try to Uninstall and go back to IE 7 or 6. Then try to reinstall IE 8 again. As you have say your self Firefox is working fine but your problem is with IE 8 on Google searches. Are you getting that same problem with any other search site (Yahoo, Ask, or Bing)?

How long it you have IE 8 installed? When was the last time you cleared out your cache, History or cookies? If it was a long time ago or never. You may have to clear out you Internet cache, history, and cookies. As to do so go to 'Start' > 'programs' > 'Accessories' > 'System Tools' > 'Disk clean up'. From there you may or may not have to mark the ones you will have to delete. I recommend doing this at lest once a week.

I do not use IE 8 even though it is installed. I like to use Chrome and Firefox. My sister use it if I let her use my laptop when ever she comes and visit.

Manmur

Collapse -
IE 8

In reply to: IE 8

Manmur,

I went to uninstall IE 8 and can't find it in my list of programs. How can I uninstall something I can't find? How do I verify that I am indeed running IE 8?

Paul

Collapse -
Link

In reply to: MS Updates

Collapse -
Sweet Tast Of Success!!!

In reply to: Link

Manmur,

I owe you BIG time!!! The first time 6 out of the 7 installed successfully then following those instructions a second time was rewarded with SUCCESS!!! Thank you SO much. I wish there were some way I could reward you. Have a GREAT evening.

Paul

Collapse -
Yes!

In reply to: Sweet Tast Of Success!!!

Paul

I am happy that you were able to get 6 out of the 7 downloads to work for you!

A simple Think-you to do for a reward.

A did notice that you did have a question on as to how to find what version of IE you are running. Start IE. Go to help. It should be like this(?). Clicking on the down arrow on the right side your should get a link for 'About Internet Explorer' By clicking that you should get your version number. In My case it was 8.

To uninstall IE 8 to go back to a previous version. Here is that link on explaining how to do so.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Have a Good night

Manmur

Collapse -
You are a SAINT!

In reply to: This might help

Manmur,

I was able to get all 7 of the updates to install properly AND I was successful in uninstalling IE 8. I am now running IE 7 with NO apparent problems. I don't think I will re-install IE 8 anytime soon. Thanks again for ALL of your help and have a GREAT week and Father's Day (in case you are a father).

Paul

Collapse -
Yeah!

In reply to: You are a SAINT!

Paul

I take that as a complement. I have been told that I have the Patience of a Saint.

I am not a Father but would like to be someday. I do wish you a happy Father's Day, too.

Have a Great Week Paul!

Manmur

Collapse -
Saint Manmur!

In reply to: Yeah!

How does THAT sound? I am going to nominate you for sainthood. Thank you I will have a wonderful Fathers Day. Take care.

Paul

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.