PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Fitting a second hard drive

by tonyartist / October 19, 2006 7:45 PM PDT

I have recently purchased a new pc running win xp. My old pc was running me and had a lot of bundled software that was useful (Word perfect, for example) that is not on the new one.

Is it possible to add the old hd to the new machine and access it as a seperate drive? The software is all encode so it is not possible to identify individual programs and transfer them to the new hd.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fitting a second hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fitting a second hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Adding a second Hard drive
by infinityman1958 / October 19, 2006 11:24 PM PDT

I actually just did this for the 1st time last night. It is very easy if you PC has a slot for a 2nd hard drive.

On your new hard drive you'll see a removeable plastic tab and you need to reference the manual (or sometimes the top of the hard drive) and set the tab to make this hard drive the slave drive. Second move the tab on your old drive the the master w/ slave setting.

That's it....XP will do the rest

Collapse -
Open EULA,? read it
by Willy / October 20, 2006 12:27 AM PDT

The physical part of the HD is pretty much straight-foward. You find an empty slot for the HD and connect, etc. and allow the system to see it. Most HD makers provide guides/help files on how to do this, just visit either WD, Maxtor or Seagate for such. Of course your system maker like Dell, Gateway, etc. provides similar info, just look up your model and this applies to generic systems as well.

The s/w is though a more harder task. When you mean "encoded" are you really saying, its only installable on the old system? If so, that may mean that you need to adhere to the "EULA" portion of the s/w as it applies to the orginal purchase, you aren't allowed to transfer because you moved away from the h/w purchsed(system). Most or at least some vendors provided the s/w in recovery or restore CDs, if you tried to install and it fails, then you need the "full version" of the pgms. you want in order to install that pgm., then swap data over(data is OK to move), which is OK. Software makers do try to protect thier property so its on a one-foe-one case, just try installing from your older CDs. If no go, then buy the same full version that's more open installable as it should be.

On top of all this you should verify that the pgms. will run under XP as not all will. Thus, you need XP version, so the above paaragraph maybe a mute point, but its worth the try. You may get a "discounted pricing" either by upgrade or prior s/w usage if you contact the s/w co. and see what is any is available to you. However, Wordperfect files should be convertable to MS Word if all else fails, just burn the data(any back-up) to CDs for safekeeping before any conversion.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
HD transfer yes, program transfer no.
by jpdpilot182 / October 22, 2006 8:56 PM PDT

It's possible for you to put in a second harddrive as long as you have the spage in the case to put it. However, programs MUST be installed to the computer, and placed in the registry. Simply copying and pasting a program will just result in a program that wont run.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?