Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

First Timer - Please help wireless printer / pc issues

by B2BMarketer / April 14, 2008 1:52 AM PDT

OK, I am usually too impatient to wait around for help but thought I would give this a shot. Fingers crossed.

I have a Dell Latitude Laptop - don't think stats are relevant
Linksys WRT54GX4 Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX400
HP 7180 Wireless printer
Docking station for Dell Latitude

INstalling this wireless printer has wreaked havoc. When I first installed it (which took like 10 hours for some reason) things worked for a short period of time. But now I can only get on the internet when I am plugged into the docking station with the internet hard wired into the back of the dock. Wife's PC which does not have the printer software installed also can;t get online.

We CAN connect to the router and the signal strength is good, but the message tells us limited or no connectivity. Appears to have something to do with IP addresses but has to be a result somehow of the printer. Other odd thing is my iPhone seems to have no issues. What else do ya'll want to know? I have gone through the whole re-boot of the modem and rounter and PC. Have not re-installed printer yet because it took 10 hours the first time and want to avoid that if possible.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First Timer - Please help wireless printer / pc issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First Timer - Please help wireless printer / pc issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Add to the above
by B2BMarketer / April 14, 2008 2:05 AM PDT

I am trying to find the exact error message but I think that it was something about an IP address not being assigned. Has to be related to the printer or the way I set it up I am sure. Hope this is of further help somehow.

Collapse -
Do you have your wireless set up
by PudgyOne / April 14, 2008 5:48 AM PDT

like the Forum Sticky suggests? If you setup your Linksys the way it suggests, then you and your wife can connect.

Linksys firmware can be downloaded from here.

After you are connected, then you can setup the wireless printer. If you have tried this before, I would recommend that you remove the printer. Then restart your computer.

Download the printer drivers from here.

Please read the setup and install instructions. It will give you a better idea on what to do.

Rick

Collapse -
by B2BMarketer / April 14, 2008 6:14 AM PDT

Thanks Rick. As I mentioned, I did have it all working at one point and was able to be on my pc wirelessly and also print wirelessly. It just stopped working like that at some point and now I can only get online if in the docking station. Somehow something got screwed up.

I had been using this router for a while with sucess and these issue only started to happen shortly after I installed the printer.

Collapse -
You can start over
by PudgyOne / April 14, 2008 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

In the back of the router there is a reset button. Press and hold for 30 seconds. Then release.

setup should be

wall > isp modem/router > Linksys wireless router > wired/wireledd

To setup should be

wall > isp modem/router > Linksys wireless router > wired(not numbered)

use the ethernet cable and plug into a numbered port.

Power the modems down and wait 30 seconds. Now turn on the isp modem/router. Wait 30 seconds, now turn on the Linksys. If you have the disk that came with it, insert it into your cd rom.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Firmware can be found here. Install the new firmware will keep you connected. Most routers sit in the warehouse and get outdated.

Broadcast SSID(change this, it will be easier to connect)

Use WPA security

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

That's it. Save and exit. power off THE isp modem/router and turn off the Linksys. Wait about 15 seconds and turn on the isp modem/router. Now turn on the Linksys. After about 30 seconds, now try to connect wireless.

What do you get? How about your wife's computer?

If you're connected with both, then follow the instructions in post 3. Do one computer at a time. Drivers need to be installed in every computer that needs to print.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.