Cameras forum

General discussion

First timer....go easy. Advice needed for a digital newbie.

by jamisonrg / August 13, 2005 4:36 AM PDT

I am in the market for a new digital camera and have very little idea of how to begin as I have never owned a digital camera before. I have some limited experience with std. photography using fully manual SLR cameras.

I'd like to be able to take snapshots with the ability to have some manual controls if I start getting 'into it' more.

Picture quality is important. I'd like the ability to make larger prints if I actually shoot something worthwhile.

The size of camera is not that important, although smaller would be nice.

I would like a good macro feature.

Did I mention I have a budget? I would like to stay around $300-$350 before accessories.

There seems to be a ton of choices in this price range and I'm overwhelmed. Any advice and user experiences (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First timer....go easy. Advice needed for a digital newbie.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First timer....go easy. Advice needed for a digital newbie.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One suggestion
by cmfavorito / August 13, 2005 7:35 AM PDT

I am on my third digital camera in seven years. I recently did a lot of research and I am very happy with my choice. I purchased a Kodak EasyShare DX 7440. It is a 4 megapixel, 4x optical zoom. I just used it exclusively on a 5 week trip an I am very happy with the results. It has great automatic settings for every situation, but it also offers full manual control. It has very fast startup, and very little shutter lag. I also like the extra large and bright LCD display. I would suggest trying different software, such as Picasa 2, rather than the included software. Oh, and it will come in well under your price range.

Chris

Collapse -
Dim flash photos
by jas0nhe / August 13, 2005 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: One suggestion

I've heard that the photos taken with flash with the DX7440 are very dark. You may want to test this out by going to a local electronics store and playing with the camera.

-Jason

Collapse -
Digital Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 13, 2005 11:21 AM PDT

The two cameras that come to my mind are:

Canon A95 - 3X optical zoom
Olympus C-5500 - 5X optical zoom

Both have manual controls, 5 megapixels.
Both take excellent photos.
Here are the specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_a95%2Coly_c5500sz&show=all

Since the specification did not show an estimated price for the Olympus C-5500, I checked newegg.com and they have it listed for $231 and no charge for shipping.
That is a very good price for that camera.

Here are reviews for both cameras:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a95.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/c5500.html

Collapse -
Digital Camer Links
by taboma. / August 16, 2005 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Digital Cameras

Joe, How in the world do you have a link to everything?
Anything we need to know?ZAPP! There is a link!
Amazing!!!

Kevin

Collapse -
Camera Links
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 17, 2005 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Digital Camer Links

I have learned more from this forum than anyone else.

It is a self learning system. You look for answers and often find hidden gems on the internet. You just have to keep track of where that gem is located.

For comparing specificatons of cameras:
Go to:
http://www.dpreview.com/
On the left side, click on Buying Guide and then Side-by-side. There you can compare up to 10 cameras at once.

I use the Windows clip board all the time, but it is too limited. So I use ClipCache Plus, which lets me store many things for easy retrieval.

But most of all, I learn from the people who visit this forum. Lots of knowledgeable people help out with the answering of questions. And their help is appreciated.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!