Computer Help forum

General discussion

First time unable to Uninstall a Program - Culprit Regiguard

by cnet student / June 30, 2008 3:39 PM PDT

I left a sour review of Regiguard (registry repair/cleaner). My computer is fresh, no problems - Windows XP - HP Pavillion Laptop - IE 6.0 (cuz I don't like 7.0).

So weird, been computer literate for years & never had this problem. Others have complained in reviews that Regiguard's interface is all clipped off, unable to close or minimize. Same here, but unable to Uninstall as well.

Regiguard DOES appear in my PROGRAMS list, but, it does NOT show up in my ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS list. Doing a search for related files only includes Application, Zip File, Desktop Shorcut, Start Menu & Program File. NO ability to uninstall there either.

I downloaded Revo Uninstaller from CNet, which got good reviews, and IT DOES NOT recognize Regiguard as being in my system at all!

Any suggestions or related feedback appreciated.

Thank you ...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First time unable to Uninstall a Program - Culprit Regiguard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First time unable to Uninstall a Program - Culprit Regiguard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
... forgot to add ...

Forgot to add, I did try reinstalling OVER it twice, and end results exactly the same ... thank you ...

Collapse -
Do you remember back in the Windows 3.11 days?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 10:44 PM PDT

Where you would delete a program's home directory and it's start up entries? That usually kills it off. You can also use HIJACKTHIS to see and remove other entries it made of interest.

Again, think about manual removal methods.
Bob

Collapse -
Will try ... thanks ... also ...
by cnet student / July 1, 2008 3:32 PM PDT

Hey Bob -

Yeah, the Windows 3.11 day was JUST before I came on, but I do understand what that means. I've done the manual thing before, last resort. Didn't want to leave any bits & pieces behind - gonna look into HIJACKTHIS right now. Will add on feedback on results.

Need to start a thread on cursor jumping around. Seems a lot of people on Net going thru same with little available fixes. Suggestions I've tried haven't worked yet. This is my first laptop, never had this problem w/desktops.

Gonna start that thread now too. Thanks Bob.

Collapse -
.. to Bob's suggestion ...
by cnet student / July 1, 2008 4:13 PM PDT

Hey Bob -

I ran HijackThis 2.02, and it suggests someone "knowledgable" check the files it calls up. That it will not automatically delete or fix them. What do you do next? It called up about 40 things.

Should I just rely on the reg fix sofwares I have? (Reg Booster 2 + Reg Mechanic)...

Thanks for your feedback ...

Collapse -
It's a power tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 11:01 PM PDT

Since you know the program you want to remove it has a list you can look over and for the items you don't know you can ask google and if that fails, ask here.

Given the design of windows and that uninstall is an new and non-enforced feature we must manually remove software that doesn't offer such. It's part of running Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
Looked at HijackThis List
by cnet student / July 2, 2008 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a power tool.

I looked into each item HijackThis brought up and nothing resembles anything like Regiguard. So I guess manual deletion it is!

Thank you so much for giving me the confidence to run Windows in this manner, and for this instance...

Collapse -
SOLUTION TO - "cannot delete file: cannot read ... "
by cnet student / July 2, 2008 7:00 AM PDT

For anyone's benefit, in process of needing to delete Regiguard manually, ran into a common message - "cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk"

I researched Web for suggestions. Someone suggested a program called UNLOCKER. I entered name into CNet's DOWNLOAD search to check out reviews, and it checked out. "UNLOCKER 1.8.7" to be exact.

It doesn't run like most programs. It's in the background. You need to right-click on the file/folder you want to delete. The UNLOCKER option shows up and you click it.

No complaints!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!