Computer Help forum

Question

First time cloning HDD to SSD - need some help

Hi.

This will be my first time cloning to a SSD, so please advise where needed?

Looking to buy a new Dell Inspiron 11, 3000 Series laptop using 8.1 for travel purposes..
I want to purchase a 256gb Samsung SSD to replace the HDD 500gb.
From what I read, the HDD(for this laptop) uses less that 200GB of data.

Ok, so I need a freeware to Image clone my HHD to a SSD.
Currently I use Macrium Reflect for Image backups on my current laptop.

Would Reflect be a decent software to clone a HDD to a SSD?
I've also heard EaseUS is a very good product.

Besides the SSD, I also need an external enclosure(Adapter) to connect the SSD to the laptop.

Here are the steps:
1. Do a full Image Backup of my HDD(c:\) drive to an external drive
2. Perform the Image cloning operation from the HDD to the SDD
3. Upon completion, remove/replace the HDD with the SDD in my new laptop
4. Boot up the machine.

Is this the correct sequence-of-steps for a successful upgrade?
If not, what other tasks must be included before or after cloning to get a clean installation of the SSD?

Thanks.
TC.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First time cloning HDD to SSD - need some help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First time cloning HDD to SSD - need some help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I didn't even do that much.

In reply to: First time cloning HDD to SSD - need some help

I got the Apricom disk clone package, followed the directions and had my drive replaced in no time at all. The Apricom adapter/software is a bundle and not expensive.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
When I bought my SSD (I wanted to do the same thing)

In reply to: First time cloning HDD to SSD - need some help

I bought a Kit. I'm not sure if Samsung sells their SSD's in a Kit but I got mine from Buy.com. I've actually done it 3 times.

The kit consisted of 1. The SSD 2. The External HD Case with USB connection 3. Acronis True Image software.

My pc has 2 drive bays so my goal was to clone the HD and move it to the 2nd bay. The first drive i got was a 120 GB SSD and the PC was new so I installed the apps i wanted and I began the cloning. I just booted with the Acronis disk and the SSD in the external case. When finished i put the SSD in the 1st bay and the HD in the 2nd bay and it booted fine. I later did the same thing but from the 120 GB SSD to a 240 GB SSD. The 3rd time I cloned the 750 HD to 1 TB HD to be used as the data drive in bay 2.

One of the things when using a SSD is they recommend not to go past a certain % of capacity. So if you can afford a 500 GB SSD I would go with that.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.