HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

First step into Vista

by shafiqkhan31 / October 25, 2006 9:56 PM PDT

Hi,
I tried to find out if my computer was up to vista requirements.
Did not get very far.The evaluation processor could not be completed.
When I tried to download some essential software to take the first step,a message appeared.
"This installation package could not be opened.Contact the application vendor..."
I am running XP (Home), on P4 2.40 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM, use Pipex broadband.
Any suggestions. Help will be appreciated.
Shafiq

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First step into Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First step into Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just like Mine
by tubaloth / October 26, 2006 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: First step into Vista

I just got vista installed last night. I have a p4 2.4 (running at 2.5) and 1 Gb of Ram. So far I think you are good to go. I am on the 4 level of vista Experience. What is your Graphic situation at? I have 9700 Pro, 128 MB and it seems to work fine. I don't know about your Internet Connection. I am having problems installing my Wireless Card, and Sound. I got sound working but still having problems with the Wireless.

It boots faster into Vista, but once I'm in it, there are times it gets kind of slow when I run a couple things at once. I hope you plan on doing a duel boot?

Collapse -
What software?
by John.Wilkinson / October 26, 2006 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: First step into Vista

It would help to know what software is presenting the error message(s) and where you downloaded the software from. Right now there isn't enough information to go on.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
first hiccup with vista.
by shafiqkhan31 / October 26, 2006 7:22 PM PDT
In reply to: What software?

Thank you for your response.
I loared it from Microfast web site. through the following pathway.
Microsoft.com--Get ready for Vista--Evaluation current PC--"download" Windows Vista upgrade Advisor PC.
Then I answered the if I want to "run" or "save". I clicked "run".
All 6.40 MB was downloaded without a hitch.
A security warning followed "Publisher Unknown" .However I clicked "run".
Then came the message with Windows Installer on top to say, "This installation package could not be opened..."
My display card is ATI Radeon 9000 series
Display card memory is 64 MB
I hope that is enough information to go on!
I hope you help solve the problem.
Shafiq

Collapse -
Re:first hiccup with vista.
by stonehkm / October 27, 2006 9:27 AM PDT

You need a MINIMUM of 128meg of video memory to think of running most of the features of Vista including AERO.
Also seems to work better with a PCI Express card than an AGP card, which I guess you have:)

Collapse -
Thanks
by shafiqkhan31 / October 28, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

Thank you guys. I shall spend some money before long.
Shafiq

Collapse -
Not well...
by John.Wilkinson / October 27, 2006 9:41 AM PDT

Your graphics card falls short of meeting the requirements for Windows Vista, meaning you will not be able to access Aero, including the Glass look. In addition, some included software, such as the DVD creator, will refuse to launch and others will be jerky at best. That's definitely something that needs upgraded.

As to the rest, you didn't list your specs but as an alternative to the Microsoft Vista Upgrade Advisor you can click here to run an online one from ATI. It should give you a good idea of how your computer will fair overall.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.