PC Hardware forum

Alert

first sound then computer freezes when reaching high temp

by Matrix3333 / May 29, 2012 7:01 AM PDT

Hi there!

I have the following problem:

Whenever I play games and my computer hits temperatures like 75 °C and above the sound begins to distort. The higher the temperature the worse. After a certain time or when the temperature is high enough, the computer freezes, repeat the last sound in a distorted way. I have to reboot it then.

Everything is working fine until the gpu gets hot (75 °C +).

Win 7 64bit
6 GB Ram
NVIDIA 275 gtx
Onboard Sound
Intel i7 920

I installed the newest drivers but I am not able to track the problem. Help is really appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: first sound then computer freezes when reaching high temp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: first sound then computer freezes when reaching high temp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any reason not to get better cooling?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2012 7:19 AM PDT

Even if it's as simple as leaving the case cover off?

Collapse -
Apply now
by Willy / May 29, 2012 11:50 PM PDT

You're NOW aware that increased temps don't help your PC run better. As already suggested provide some means of better cooling. Either upgrade, increase or replace the current methods to help. Also, this is a physical attribute as in hi-temp, no driver or any s/w install will help, unless you downgrade some speed or similar. The sooner the better, as it will fail or have far worse results if better cooling isn't applied.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Heating
by pgc3 / May 29, 2012 11:52 PM PDT

I agree with Bob Proffitt, it would be adviseable to get some more cooling or you are in for major problems, heavier heatsink/fan for cpu and add on fan/s for case for starters. I recall one system I built years ago that turned into a crispy crunchy because I over clocked it and ran insufficient cooling, I certainly learned a lesson there. The other thing that may be suspect is PSU capability but start with cooling first, cool is good, hot is not.

Collapse -
Heating
by Matrix3333 / May 30, 2012 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Heating

Thanks for the advice so far.

Upgrading the cooling of my pc is in general a good idea. Nevertheless it seems to me that this is treating the symptoms and not the problem itself. A GPU shouldn't have problems with temperatures around 75 °C, eventually leading to a complete freeze. Any suggestions for the problem itself?

Collapse -
Increase cooling
by Willy / May 30, 2012 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Heating

Newer GPUs can get hot and some are worse than others. On top of this is the "overall heat build-up" of the PC. It appears what cooling you have just isn't enough. The problem has surfaced and the GPU and any heavy stressed device is going to be a problem. While any decent sensor or reporting s/w will find a reading, these generally can be off by 10% or similar. Also, there isn't anything that suggests what your setup is going to work better as heat rises. Cooling is a key item that helps any gaming PC survive and prolong play is a stress related process that can be addressed by better cooling. So, take it as you will but if not immediately acted upon, your results will become more troublesome as time passes.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!