Android forum

General discussion

first smartphone advice

Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first smartphone. I'll be using it as any other smartphone user would do (calls, SMS, internet, apps) but also for development.

Motorola I don't trust, Sony ... eh and Samsung ... I don't like plastic. All very good phones, but for my taste, HTC is the winner.

I'm looking at: horse power, design materials, screen quality, battery life.

I like HTC Desire Z (for the keyboard), but is too old (outdated). I'm not going to by the phone with a contract, so I'm going to spend a lot of money on it. Therefore buying the best at the moment is a must.

HTC Sensation is OK (dual core, aluminum, qHD, good battery life) but the screen quality is under the Desire S's; and there are also problems with visual corrections in photos and videos. Not to mention the boot loader ...

Will there be coming a powerful phone (dual core and nice graphics) with good battery life (not as the Thunderbolt's), with the build quality of the HTC's and the beautiful screen of the Samsung S's? Should I wait for such a phone in the coming months or should I just buy the Sensation? Or do you have some other advice for me?

Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: first smartphone advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: first smartphone advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a quick one

In reply to: first smartphone advice

When you say you will be using it for development, are you only going to be working on apps or will you be getting into roms and themes?

Collapse -
The App developer should avoid the dual core or have both

A single mid range device and a high end one.

Imagine how Anger Nerds faired in the market since it was developed on the fastest handset. The poor company didn't do as well as they hoped.

Maybe you need the usual mid range cheap everyman device and then your pocket toaster.
Bob

Collapse -
clarifying things

I'm not a developer. But I'm no ordinary user either.
I will like to get my hands dirty inside the world of Android, but this isn't the main reason for buying a smartphone.

Collapse -
"but also for development."

In reply to: clarifying things

That's in your first sentence. Today, for now, those near and over 1GHz units are very very nice.

Yes, we have too many between home and office.
Bob

Collapse -
re

In reply to: "but also for development."

The "development" is just a small and personal thing. I'm not a developer, but in the feature, who knows ...
When I'll have the time, I'll get my hands dirty with the SDK.
But that's all.

Collapse -
Absolutely.

In reply to: re

Collapse -
phone

In reply to: Absolutely.

I'm looking for a GSM phone (Europe) - unlocked, without a contract.

Collapse -
That helps.

In reply to: phone

What units did you find that had your dual core, unlocked, GSM and such?

The forum might have folk in that area but here I'm mostly in the USA or Taiwan areas so what I see won't help.
Bob

Collapse -
examples

In reply to: That helps.

option 1: HTC Sensation (or other models; which?)
option 2: Samsung Galaxy S II
option 3: Motorola Bionic (or other models; which?)
option 4: ...

Collapse -
Ok, you have 3 models.

In reply to: examples

Well known ones too. Now to your spreadsheet. Add columns for purchase price, warranty (some are none on unlocked!), monthly cell fees and such.

Collapse -
spreadsheet ... and back to the topic

In reply to: Ok, you have 3 models.

The spreadsheet doesn't really help because:
1. HTC Sensation and SGS2 have the same price and the same warranty; and Motorola Bionic isn't out yet;
2. The monthly cell fees will be the same regardless of the phone i'll buy;
3. the 3 phones represent some of my thoughts - i'm waiting for others to suggest.

Collapse -
Best or ideal.

In reply to: spreadsheet ... and back to the topic

So far I have yet to see those "on the common market."

Some pain me over noting the other markets where you find full sunlight readable units that survive 6 foot drops to pavement but your market is outside the region I travel.

You've picked well known units but seem to not know the connection between screen pixel counts and how much CPU it needs.

The dual core and higher speeds are mostly for tablets with big screens and more pixels to manipulate. I can only guess you haven't thought this through.

Me? Just an app author, electronics designer with former jobs in telecom to missiles.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.