Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

First posts are minnsing.

I have only checked General Help forums and SE and initail or "new topic" posts including stickies are missing. The problem seems to be global and occurs regardless the date.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First posts are minnsing.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First posts are minnsing.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only seems to be a problem when......

In reply to: First posts are minnsing.

...in Threaded View. I wonder if this problem is caused by the CNET Forums or by my Interet files cache or something.

Has anyone else expriened this kind of problem with the forums? Or is the way Threaded View is supposed to be?

Collapse -
(NT) same here

In reply to: Only seems to be a problem when......

Collapse -
I assume this is not a problem now?

I will report this to the engineers to have them check this out.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
(NT) Seems to be OK now, Lee.

In reply to: I assume this is not a problem now?

Collapse -
Weird quirkiness, can you tell me

In reply to: Seems to be OK now, Lee.

approximately what time this started to occur on Sunday?

Any information will be helpful for investigation.

Thanks a bunch!!
-Lee

Collapse -
(NT) It's doing it again

In reply to: Weird quirkiness, can you tell me

Collapse -
(NT) threaded view does it

In reply to: Weird quirkiness, can you tell me

Collapse -
Need more information on this bug

I know it's not happening right now but when it did happen can you let me in on a few more details like:

Where you logged in when this happened?
Is this problem only with threads that have a single message or multiple messages?

If happening to multiple messages, do you see post #2 and the rest of the post, just not #1?

Does it happen for some threads or all of them?

Does it happen for all forums or just a few?

Any details will help out our engineer to figure out what is going on. These PITA bugs are difficult to troubleshoot when they are intermittent and not reproducible.

Thanks everyone!!

-Lee

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: Need more information on this bug

Where you logged in when this happened? (yes)
Is this problem only with threads that have a single message or multiple messages? (both/all)

If happening to multiple messages, do you see post #2 and the rest of the post, just not #1? (All other posts were visible, just the first post didn't show up, the second post was at the top of the page)

Does it happen for some threads or all of them? (it happened in the 2 or 3 threads that I tried)

Does it happen for all forums or just a few? (it happened in the 2 or 3 forums that I tried)

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you Bill!!

In reply to: Response

Collapse -
You're welcome, and

In reply to: Thank you Bill!!

The first message on the second page of a thread with more than 25 posts is not displayed.....(In threaded view.)

Collapse -
Lee, here's what it looks like

In reply to: Thank you Bill!!

Collapse -
Thanks for the screenshot Rick. One other question.

In reply to: Lee, here's what it looks like

Did you reach those pages coming from the Forum thread listing page or did it come from a tracked discussion email or somewhere else?

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Lee, it doesn't matter

In reply to: Thanks for the screenshot Rick. One other question.

If you click on the link above or it you go to any of the posts, using Mozilla Firefox and Threaded view, the first post is missing on every post, so it didn't matter which way to come in. I clicked on the email for this one and I'm missing post 1 here, too.

I got some free time and came here to post and post 1 was missing. Has been for a couple of days. All post, using Mozilla Firefox and Threaded view are missing post 1 and when they go to page 2, the top post is missing there, also.

Rick

Collapse -
Is this happening right now for you? 11:54am PST

In reply to: Lee, it doesn't matter

I'm not able to reproduce what you are reporting at all using Firefox or IE...strange.

Using FF3.
Threaded view.
logged in.
11:54am PST

Anyone else having this issue now?

Collapse -
Lee,

In reply to: Is this happening right now for you? 11:54am PST

If I go to flat view, I can see the post as well as tree view.

It's only happening with Threaded view. OK with Internet Explorer, not with Mozilla Firefox.

Rick

Collapse -
THE CAUSE & SOLUTION...

In reply to: Is this happening right now for you? 11:54am PST

I finally got a few minutes to look into this...

Lee: You can have the engineers resume normal operations; it is not on your end. Happy

All: The source of the problem is AdBlock Plus, specifically the EasyList subscription. Evidently, its was updated a few days ago to include the rule ##*[class$="Mpu"], which, without going into details, blocks the first post in any thread while in Threaded view.

The temporary workaround, for those using ABP with EasyList, is to open ABP options from the Tools menu, press Ctrl + F, enter ##*[class$="Mpu"], and uncheck the box of the first/only match. Apply the changes and then refresh the page to see the effect. I have contacted the maintainer of EasyList and requested an update, so hopefully this issue will be corrected shortly.

Cheers!
John

Collapse -
Phew... this was driving me kinda nuts!

In reply to: THE CAUSE & SOLUTION...

Thanks John!

FYI: MPU is an ad next to the first post of each thread.

Collapse -
No problem...

In reply to: Phew... this was driving me kinda nuts!

EasyList has had other rules to block those ads for some time, and I added a little CSS to block the ads and widen the posts the day after they were added. Happy Not sure why they added that particular rule (most likely another site), but hopefully it is fixed soon.

John

P.S. On a related note: The first two threads in each forum temporarily disappeared from the listings the other day, but had returned by the time I swung back through, likely the result of a similar update.

Collapse -
John and Lee

In reply to: No problem...

It doesn't matter what subscription you have. I have Adblobk Filterset.G Updater and it does it too. I tried disabling Adblock and yes, the first post reappears along with the ad. I guess as long as the ad is there, then it will block the first post. Not a very good solution except to change to the Flat View

Rick

Collapse -
Filterset.G Updater is obsolete...

In reply to: John and Lee

Here's the official excerpt:
"***OBSOLETE***
The author of Filterset.G no longer maintains it, and the website it is hosted on is defunct. This add-on page is available for historical reasons only. Please use Adblock Plus with one of its recommended subscriptions instead.
"

Each subscription is maintained separately, but many of them copy from each other, so it is possible others have/will have the same issue. However, disabling the 'offending' rule will correct the problem, without disabling AdBlock/AdBlock Plus. (The ad and the corresponding post are in separate, independently-controllable/blockable divs.)

John

Collapse -
Ok, I removed Filterset.G Updater

and I see EasyList and it still blocks thew first post except in the Flat view

Thank you. Guess one can only use Flat View when using Adblock Plus.

Rick

Collapse -
(NT) Did you disable that one EasyList entry?

In reply to: Ok, I removed Filterset.G Updater

Collapse -
(NT) no, just changed to flat view

In reply to: Did you disable that one EasyList entry?

Collapse -
(NT) Just disable the one entry to use Threaded View normally.

In reply to: no, just changed to flat view

Collapse -
(NT) Got it, Thanks, John.

In reply to: Did you disable that one EasyList entry?

Collapse -
Interesting

But can I throw a spanner in the works?

I'm not sure if that's what I am doing but here goes.

I'm using Adblock Plus here in the UK, but mine is still an old version, 0.7.5.5. My filter is the same, EasyList (USA), Using the find function I found an entry for ##*[class$="Mpu"] and it is enabled. But I've had no problems in these forums with missing first posts, (Threaded view).

Am I special?

I am updating Adblock Plus now to the latest version, and will let you know if I start losing posts.

Mark

Collapse -
I've changed my mind about updating.

In reply to: Interesting

I may still have to, but you may want to have a look at this, if you haven't seen it already;

Adblock Plus - Attention all NoScript Users, dated May 1 2009

There seems to be a war of words and actions between NoScript and Wladimir Palant of Adblock. Since I appear to be unaffected at the moment, I am staying put.

Were you aware of any of this John, since you seem very clued up about much of this.

Mark

Collapse -
I had gotten a chuckle out of it...

In reply to: I've changed my mind about updating.

It is certainly not a pleasant situation, and troublesome for the applications' users. But there is just something ironic about a free, open-source application, designed to help the user and block unwanted content, becoming more cutthroat toward another than paid software in order to force unwanted content upon the users. To me, it is yet another example that the open-source model has significant flaws, in this case the necessity of 'voluntarily' funds extraction from users to keep going, though given my profession I may be slightly biased. Happy

John

Collapse -
This has been resolved...

The EasyList (USA) subscription has been updated to eliminate this issue.

Those affected: Please update your EasyList subscription if it has not already been updated automatically.

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.