Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

First post - need some help

Hi,

Hoping that this forum can choose my next music player as I'm stumped and the amazon results aren't helping much. Basically I want a 20GB or 30GB music player with the ability to drag and drop all of my music files which are stored as wmas or mp3s from explorer. I don't care about video or photos (but obviously don't mind) and my priorities after that are sound quality (don't mind paying for new earphones), durability/finish and simplicity.

I have previously owned an iriver H320 which I loved but which was stolen and then another iriver (the current 20GB one with the touch strip in the middle) which was ok but which didn't work as a drag and drop mass storage device without being reset each time and which crashed repeatedly (recently terminally). Also wasn't much of a fan of the finish on this one - just felt cheap.

Current options are - iaudio X5 and X5L (if anyone knows the difference please chime in!) and the creative 30GB one (can I drag and drop onto this?) Please let me know if you reckon either of these would be a good fit or if there are others I should look into.

I know this is a pretty demndaing first post but as you can tell I'm not much of a techie and I sincerely appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First post - need some help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First post - need some help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I thought the Archos 604 is kinda nice.

In reply to: First post - need some help

Collapse -
X5L

In reply to: First post - need some help

The L in X5L is long play. It has a better battery than the X5. I think it might be slightly bulkier, but I'm not sure.

The X5 is drag and drop. The only time you need Cowon software is to encode video files. You can drag and drop them like any other file once they are converted to the right format.

The only other current hard disk player I really like is the Creative Zen Vision:M, but I don't think it is drag and drop. It wasn't at release, and I don't think anything has changed.

It is a great all round audio and video player, but for audio quality the X5 is still the best out there (Creative does look pretty though)

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: X5L

Thanks for the responses - I'm kind of impatient and have pulled the trigger on the X5L though it doesn't sound like I've made a terrible choice!

Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.