PC Hardware forum

Question

First pc build

by tjster123 / November 5, 2013 3:18 AM PST

After much research I have finally put together a pc configuration that I think will suit my needs....
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1XQpY

Im using tge pc for gaming and general use. Also some product design including the use of solidworks. Could some people give me some feedback (improvements/recommendations) amd also tell me if the system is likely to bottlekneck?

Thanks
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First pc build
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First pc build
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So how does this compare to this i7 Haswell?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: First pc build
Collapse -
Price
by tjster123 / November 5, 2013 4:43 AM PST

It's much cheaper

Collapse -
Here it's about the same as your costs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Price

And with recent price drops it's too close for me to consider less.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Opinion
by Bob__B / November 5, 2013 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: First pc build

Unless space is at a premium.
I would not build a gaming rig with a small case......use a mid tower.
I would not build a gaming rig with a micro mobo....use an atx size.

You have a 140w gpu.
I think your psu is going to be a little light......bump that to 500w.

Collapse -
Space
by tjster123 / November 5, 2013 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: Opinion

Sadly my space is a premium /: i do think that the n200 is a good little case for the price!
I think i agree with you on the psu

Thanks

Collapse -
Agree....micro, mini-cases are poor choices regardless of
by VAPCMD / November 5, 2013 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: Space

quality for gaming PCs. The concept is appealing but in reality they've got limited space inside the case, poor ventilation, poor heat dissipation, limited expansion, etc.,

Re the PSU...the 660 based GPUs say the minimum is 450W. If it was mine I'd be looking at a single 12V rail PSU starting at 550W-600W. You need headroom....extra power if you add components..HDDs, CD-DVDs, faster GPU and you never want to be at the MINIMUM power to run your system. Also, select an efficient PSU....80% would be minimum here. The less efficient the PSU is...the more you'll pay for electricity to run the system.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Lost count on small cases.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: Space

That later we have to leave the lid off.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.