Laptops forum

General discussion

First Laptop, big time gamer , any advise?

Looking to replace my home computer w/ a laptop (spend a lot of time cabed up in the oil field and in motels) but still want to play my games . Can anybody give me advise on what I should consider when I choose? I've done some looking at the HP zd8000 and w/ 2.8 ghz P4 or dv8000z w/ AMD T 64 1.8 ghz...any advice? also would like to know the difference between 17.0" WXGA and 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Wide Viewing...advertizes as being wider and brighter...is there any truth to that?

Or shuld I consider another manufacture...

THANKS for any advise you can give me!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First Laptop, big time gamer , any advise?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First Laptop, big time gamer , any advise?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
dell xps, also look into asus, fujitsu, sager, and toshiba

In reply to: First Laptop, big time gamer , any advise?

has some good offerings.

Collapse -
Toshiba Qosmio g25 or Acer Ferrari or Dell m170

They're much more expensive laptops but they get good reviews for gaming.

Collapse -
well

In reply to: Toshiba Qosmio g25 or Acer Ferrari or Dell m170

Collapse -
Try the HP DV4000

I would avoid the zd8000 as the Pentium 4 processor in it will run very hot and offer you very little battery life. Sounds like you may be plugged up most of the time but still the heat could be an issue. The DV8000 is a nice laptop but the Graphics processor is not real good. It will not be able to handle any heavy gaming. If you do primarily the type of games that don't require much 3D graphics capability it would be fine. The HP DV4000 is very nice and offers an optional ATI x700 graphics card which can handle just about any game you throw at it very well. You could get one of these easily for between $1200-$1300. Just make sure you order one with the the ATI x700 processor and not the one with the Intel Integrated graphics as there is a big difference. Also, the HP DV4000 does not have a 17" screen but instead has a 15.4" widescreen. I have an HP zv6000 with a 15.4" widescreen and it is very nice and offers plenty of real estate to game with in my opinion. The Brightview is a nice option. I like it as do most people. Basically, it gives you a very glossy look and as long as you are not using it with a lot of light directly behind you I think you will like it. As a comparison think about a picture that you can develop with glossy or matte finish. Most people like the glossy finish as it just plain looks better. Good luck with your purchase!

Collapse -
Awsome Gaming Laptop..for a price

Collapse -
for the game

the dells xps has a strong graphics card
the qosmio graphics card lacks in comparasent yet the qosmio has 2 60gb hard drive that can be merged/raid 0 striping giving great speed. a great feature known as the qosmio engine gives strong graphis as well getting close to the xps mark.the 17inch screen- lets say perfect view.I got the 4 year extend warrenty on my qosmio so if i drop it/break the screen the in home service will take care of it.great investment f,sure

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.