Laptops forum

General discussion

First Laptop

by Marie Power / June 28, 2006 2:40 AM PDT

Hi, I am wanting to buy a laptop and this will be my first. I will using it at home and will need to download just one software program to it. I know what I need in memory and such but am not sure whether to get a Dell or Toshiba. I don't much to spend and am looking at getting on E-Bay. Would like your opinion on Dell and Toshiba or any others you think would be good for me to consider since this will be my first laptop?

Thanks so much for any suggestions you can give me.

Renee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2006 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: First Laptop

My neighbor has 2 models of the Compaq v2000 line. Both were under 1K. One was under 800. Both are very nice. My workplace supplied a big Compaq R3000 which is fine since I also use it to demo software and do support on the road. We have far too many Dells in the office so that's an option too. But which one? I think it depends on budget and what coupons you can find.

Bob

Collapse -
About the v2000z
by bhatman / June 28, 2006 4:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
About the v2000z
by bhatman / June 28, 2006 4:10 AM PDT

Now Compaq has come out with the v3000z which is better looking and also has AMD's brand new Dual Core TL-52 which is looking to be a decent processor.

Collapse -
Look at the Dell Inspiron 6400 / E1505
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / June 28, 2006 10:39 AM PDT

I have it and it delivers very good performances. The best quality/price ratio for a Core Duo processor with dedicated graphics. If you plan to play games with it, run AERO Glass Interface of Windows Vista, have a future with graphics applications, you must have a dedicated GPU like the ATi Mobility Radeon X1400. I have it and it is nice to play games like NFSU2 and Tiger Woods. The Inspiron 6400 was my first laptop.

If you don't play to have Windows Vista ( it's your choice, but I suggest you to upgrade one time, the beta looks very nice ), if you don't play games, the HP Pavilion dv2000t should be very fine for you of the Inspiron E1405 ( I prefer the look of the HP ). Both have integrated Intel GMA graphics solution, which is fine for battery life and 2D performances. This graphics solution will be able to handle AERO Glass, but it will slow the computer. AERO is in 3D and this GPU doesn't offer good performances in 3D. Even the nVIDIA GeForce Go 6150.

The Core Duo will have a better battery life, a better wireless and better performances than the AMD Turion 64 X2. I don't want to start a processor war, I only say facts ( It's important to precise ).

So the models to look :

HP Pavilion dv5000t with the nVIDIA GeForce Go 7400
Dell Inspiron 6400 / E1505 with the ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 ( delivers better performances than the nVIDIA ).
Dell Inspiron E1405 with Intel GMA 950 ( 224 MB Shared VRAM ).
HP Pavilion dv2000t with Intel GMA 950 ( 224 MB Shared VRAM ).

The problem of all the integrated GPU is that they steal 224 MB of RAM to run. So if you have 512 MB DDR2, your system will have 288 MB free RAM to handle Windows XP ( or Windows Vista ), and other applications / Processes, which is not enought and you lose your money. To profit of the multi-tasking that offer the Core Duo, you must have free RAM to start all the applications. You must "allow" if you want RAM to the processor. If you don't have this RAM, the system will not be able to start all the applications so it will lag, slow the entire system and you wont proffit of the powerful Core Duo. That's why I always recommand to get a dedicated GPU. The X1400 is dynamically shared VRAM. It has 128 MB on-board VRAM ( Video RAM ) and can steal another 128 MB of VRAM when you start an heavy game. That's very nice for an occasional gaming.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.