The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

First High-Speed, Low-Cost Satellite System

by shawnlin / September 10, 2008 4:25 AM PDT

First High-Speed, Low-Cost Satellite System ...for developing nations...

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=26391
excerpt:
Backed with financial and operational support from Google Inc., Liberty Global, Inc. and HSBC Principal Investments, the new system will reduce bandwidth costs for telecommunications operators (telcos) and Internet service providers (ISPs) - enabling cost-effective voice and broadband services at speeds equivalent to those enjoyed in the developed world.

[...]

The O3b Networks system will offer fiber performance over satellite, at prices comparable to fiber in developed regions. By allowing direct connection to core networks and 3G Cellular/WiMAX towers, the O3b Networks system will completely change the economics of telecommunications infrastructure in the world's fastest-growing markets for communications services.

This seems like great stuff! Especially if it's set up around an education system - that'd be tremendous. ..I just hope that I don't get *more* requests for billion dollar money transfers from some guy in Nigeria, ya know?

--Shalin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First High-Speed, Low-Cost Satellite System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First High-Speed, Low-Cost Satellite System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No....
by Nicholas Buenk / September 11, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

You'll have poor ping speeds, speed of light is a problem for satellites and the internet. It's why most everyone uses undersea cables instead.
So it is incorrect for them to say this is comparable to fiber performance.

Collapse -
Exactly...
by Slikkster / September 11, 2008 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: No....

VOIP and gaming? Out of the question. Might be fine for surfing and email, however.

Collapse -
Belay my last!
by Slikkster / September 11, 2008 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Exactly...

After actually READING the article and website (doh!), I see that my previous post is wrong. Snippet:

03b Advantage

Speed of Fiber, Reach of Satellite.
Speed

1 Mbps through 10 Gbps.

Low Latency

Faster, snappier web for your customers. Real-time, lag-free video conferencing. Full-speed IP over VPN. WebOS like Google doc?s and spreadsheets, and clearer more natural voice communications.

Latency = Delay.
O
3b Networks' system virtually eliminates the delay of standard GEO satellites by reducing the round-trip transmission time from over ? second to just 1/10 of a second. The reduced round-trip delay creates a web experience closer to terrestrial systems such as DSL or Optical.

------------end of snippet------------------

So, if they can pull that off, good on 'em!

Collapse -
Hmm
by Nicholas Buenk / September 11, 2008 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Belay my last!

How are they doing this? Are they not using a geostationary orbit but rather a low orbit?

Collapse -
Exactly...
by Slikkster / September 12, 2008 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

"Cannes, September 9, 2008 ? Thales Alenia Space today announced it has started construction of 16 of its Low Earth Orbit communications satellites for Jersey Channel Islands based O3b Networks Limited, with options for additional spacecrafts. The satellites will offer low latency Internet backhaul to emerging markets and developing countries worldwide at speeds up to 10 Gbps with a combined total capacity in excess of 160Gbps."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?