TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

First HDTV

by beachangel1 / June 4, 2012 9:00 AM PDT

I am wanting to get a flat-screen HDTV. I have a 37 Sony CRT now. It has a great picture but weighs over 200 lbs.

I have been researching and understand the difference between 60 hz and 120 hz. For my needs I feel that the 60 hz, 1080 would be fine for me. I would like a screen size of 40-42. Are there any good brands that might have an off name? I know that I will pay alot more for a name brand.

Can you tell me what price I should be expecting to pay for an off-brand and/or new brand? I friend of mine got a Sphere from Walmart and loves it. I"m sure Best Buy and hhGregg proably have their name brands. I know sometime you get what you pay for but wasn't sure if that would pertain to the HDTV's. I also didn't know if it's a good idea to buy something like this over the internet due to the damage it could get in shipping.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Some thoughts
by Pepe7 / June 4, 2012 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: First HDTV

Whatever you do, make sure the Sony finds a good home. Those Trinitron CRTs are wonderful ;).

Keep in mind that 60Hz/120/240 might not mean much depending on what you are using the HDTV for. Also, for example, a 60Hz LCD of a name brand with solid picture quality might actually look/perform better than the el cheapo wal mart or Best buy house brand (dynex, etc.) which offer 120Hz. That said, you might actually end up with a great HDTV that only does 60Hz/720p. So what I am saying is, set that number aside for a moment.

Prices are going to vary depending on what you end up with. More often that not, you do get what you pay for. A solid performing 40" LED-LCD from a name brand manufacturer like Sony could run $1K. What is your approximate budget? And what do you mostly intend on doing with the HDTV? E.g. watching satellite or cable/network tv (50%), movies (25%) + gaming (25%)(?) If you can bump up your space for the HDTV, 50" is a bit of a 'sweet spot' now in regards to price/features/quality. Ideally, you would avoid most of the lesser quality lowest priced models found at Wally world & Best Buy. Don't be as worried about buying from a trusted e-tailer over the internet since all HDTVs, even those that end up @ Best Buy/Wal Mart were shipped at some point. It's a bit of a moot point.

Wal Mart brands worth looking at: Sony, Samsung

Best Buy brands: Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic

Collapse -
Answer
heres my take
by JimmyFukyushu / June 4, 2012 2:36 PM PDT

Yeah those old CRT's were quite heavy.

Refresh rates are misunderstood. HDTVs cannot show more than 60FPS actually. A TV with higher refresh rates just simply means they add in additional frames in between those 60FPS. The results however can vary but I think anything around 120hz is good, 240hz if you're gaming.

I am a heavy fan of both plasma and LED TVs. If you plan on going big, 50" and up? I would recommend the Panasonic plasmas, preferably the 2012 models, ST50, GT50, and VT50.

If you decide to go LED, I recommend LG. They have some serious muscle this year with their LM series TVs. They also come with like 6 3D glasses or something.( almost all high-end TVs in 2012 are 3D capable).

If you want the absolute best right now, and got money to spend, get the Sharp Elite Pro-70x5fd (very expensive though, not worth the price IMO).

Collapse -
My Plans
by beachangel1 / June 4, 2012 7:09 PM PDT
In reply to: heres my take

Right now I have DirecTv and am thinking of switching to cable. It all depends on where I get the best deal for my cable and internet. I mostly watch TV (75%) and rent movies from RedBox or everyone in a while buy a DVD. I do not do any gaming and do not plan to. I have a regular DVD player but am also planning on getting a Blu-Ray player as I understand with a Blu-Ray I would still be able to watch the DVD's that I own.

I am in the process of moving and don't have a lot to spend. I would say that the most I can spend is $500.00. The main reason I'm getting a flat-screen is that the TV I have now is not HD and also no one wants to move it again.

Thanks again for helping me.

Collapse -
Answer
Here is a sample . . .
by Coryphaeus / June 4, 2012 10:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sure
by Pepe7 / June 5, 2012 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Here is a sample . . .

They work perfectly but the PQ stinks(!) At least be honest. If you speak with any insider @ BB about either Dynex or Insignia, they will tell you that both are most certainly less than reliable compared to more prominent brands. I am glad however that yours have held up.

I guess I see someone's primary HDTV as the one where it pays to get the most bang for your buck. A secondary HDTV is another story IMO, and might warrant buying the off brand for less $. Otherwise, spending the extra $100 to get a brand with better support/PQ and repair track record makes sense.

Collapse -
Thoughts on These
by beachangel1 / June 5, 2012 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure

I could push it to $600 but that would be my max. I do see Walmart has a Sony 42 inch DP42841 for $388 but can't find any reviews on it. Best Buy has a Panasonic 42 inch TCL4265 for $540.00.

I am open to suggestions if you know if any models in my budget. I also don't know of any websites to look to see if I can even get a better deal. I have decided to get a name band as I don't want to get a tv and have to replace it in 2 years or less which is why I'm reading on the internet for the off-name brands. I know some have had good luck but I don't want to take the chance.

Thanks again for the help.

Collapse -
Look at Amazon too
by Pepe7 / June 5, 2012 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Thoughts on These

Please check your model numbers again- I don't see any Panasonic with that model number @ BB. Is it the TC-L42U5? TC-L42E50? Also, the Sony model number @ Wally World looks more like a Sanyo (price looks that way too). I'd avoid it if possible if it's a Sanyo.

Amazon has a good selection too. Also check Sears for sales.

Collapse -
You're right
by beachangel1 / June 5, 2012 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Look at Amazon too

I'm sorry the one at BB is the Panasonic model TC-L42U5. Is the one at BB a decent TV for my budget? I also checked Walmart & it's a Sanyo. Thanks for letting me know to avoid the Sanyo.

I checked with Amazon and Sears. I have found several more to research further, LG 42CS560, LG 42PW350, Toshiba 40E220U, Samsung LN40D630 & LN400550 and Panasonic TC-LU2U5. I think that's pretty much what I have to choose from with my budget.

I really appreciate all the help.

Collapse -
Helping you limit these further
by Pepe7 / June 6, 2012 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: You're right

Some to throw out:

LG 42PW350- discontinued, and only 720p native resolution

Collapse -
Ready To Give Up
by beachangel1 / June 6, 2012 8:24 AM PDT

I appreciate your help. I tried to find the Samsung D630 but nothing comes up when I search that number.

I even went to Ebay and put in my price range of 400 to 600 and got 4 models. When I went to search for these models they do not come up. I'm thinking that means all of those models have been discontinued.

Do you know of any models in my price range in the 40-42 screen size? If not I could go down in screen size to a 37. 37 screen size would be the smallest I could go. I'm hoping that I might can get a decent model in my price range if I go down to the 37 screen size.

Thanks again

Collapse -
Stay away from ebay
by Pepe7 / June 6, 2012 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Ready To Give Up

Don't use it for reference, use either google or amazon, since they carry (or have carried) most of the brands/models, sometimes via third party etailers, etc. Ebay is ridiculous.

The Samsung Samsung LN40D630 is below. Remember, normally we refer to the relevant/unique parts of the model numbers for a specific manufacturer when comparing various HDTVs. For the beginner this isn't so evident, I understand. Link:

http://www.google.com/#q=Samsung+LN40D630&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&ei=3QnQT-niK8Kg2gWXpLDYDA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=6&ved=0CHQQ_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=764c353736efa817&biw=1280&bih=698

<edit> It seems to be out of your price range ;(.

I see the Samsung LN40E550

@ Sears & BB for $499. I like it better than the Sony BX450, which is also $499.

Collapse -
heres a short list
by electronicspimp / June 10, 2012 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Ready To Give Up

400-600 range.

#1 I know its a 100$ but in this case the TV is well worth it. 42" panasonic st 30 plasma. http://www.bacucountry.com/Panasonic-Viera-TC-P42ST30-42-3D-Plasma-TV-TC-P42ST30-p16279334/ . I cannot stress anymore how good this plasma is for its price. The only downside is probably its active shutters.

#2 I think this is the ultimate deal: $450 for a 42" passive 3D TV (LG LW5300).
http://pcgamesi.com/lg-42lw5300-42-inch-1080p-120-hz-cinema-3d-led-lcd-hdtv-with-3d-blu-ray-player-and-four-pairs-of-3d-glasses.html

Collapse -
But who in their right mind...
by Pepe7 / June 11, 2012 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: heres a short list

...would order anything from those two 'shady' web sites(?)

Collapse -
Still Deciding
by beachangel1 / June 11, 2012 6:49 AM PDT

Thanks so much for the help. Sorry I haven't been back sooner. My computer stopped working. It took me a couple of days to get it working again. I'm still not sure what was wrong but everything is good with it now.

I wasn't going to order the TV from Ebay. I was looking for reviews. I am going to check out the two that you mentioned. I appreciate you putting the links for me for those two tv's. I had not seen either of those in my searching for a TV.

I have also been researching extended warrantys. If I can find a good deal on a third party extended warranty it would be in my best interest. I know I won't be able to buy a new TV after the manufacturer's warranty if something should happen to the TV I get.

It might be a week or so before I get the TV once I decide on which one to get. I will let you know which one I get as you have all been so helpful.

I'll keep checking in the meantime.

Collapse -
Extended warranties are rarely worth it on...
by Pepe7 / June 13, 2012 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Still Deciding

...HDTVs in that price range. Cost to replace outright isn't much more than the repair parts/labor charge. OTOH, it makes more sense when the replacement cost isn't anywhere close to the original purchase price. In this sense, the value of an extended warranty becomes a little more apparent. YMMV though.

A less expensive way to get similar extended replacement/repair coverage would be to purchase using an American Express card, which often will tack on an additional year of coverage past what the manufacturer offers normally.

Collapse -
Answer
this is what I think
by pinkzroxor / June 14, 2012 4:36 PM PDT

There's a reason why brands like Sony and Panasonic are well known. They make great products that have appropriate price. I agree they used to jack up the price and some still do but you need to know how to look at TVs in order to not get jipped. If you're considering plasma TVs, Panasonic has really nice ones and if you're considering LED, take a look at LGs. Sony has really nice active 3D TVs but their price is quite unreasonable.

Collapse -
You make conflicting comments here
by Pepe7 / June 15, 2012 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: this is what I think

First you state Sony & Panny have 'appropriate prices'. Then, at the end you say Sony's 'price is quite unreasonable'. Which is it?

IMO and E, Sony has always been a little overpriced with their electronics as a whole. My only complaint with LG is their support sometimes leaves a little to be desired. In this regard, Panasonic can present a stronger value with their current crop of plasmas vs LED.

Collapse -
oops
by pinkzroxor / June 17, 2012 10:25 AM PDT

My bad, I worded it wrong. I didn't mean to include Sony in my first two sentences..

Collapse -
I used to think Sony was a bit high but over time
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2012 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: this is what I think

The flat rate PS3 repair is very nice. And the display quality of the non-cut-rate models is very nice.

I think it's the old you get what you pay for.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?