Cameras forum

General discussion

First Digital Camera. MAjor help. My first child coming soon

by KoS_Makenshi / November 16, 2008 2:17 PM PST

This will be my first digital camera. Will be using it to shoot photos of my first child Happy I dont know much about the better brands, models and stuff, but i do know a few things of what I am looking for.

Size: 1 inch or less thickness.(doesnt really need to be TOO compact)
MP: 8+ MP (7 MP debatable)
Price: Between $80 - $270 (or so)
Zoom: 4x +
Image Stablization: Yes (if possible within my budget & needs)

Also...SUPERIOR Near Professional Image quality with Automatic settings both indoors and outdoors, slightly more indoors. I know its impossible, but the best pics I can get with automatic settings would be great. Bright, vivid, crisp, sharp photos. I hate blur and noise

(Optional) Needs to be somewhat fast...baby moments are quick.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First Digital Camera. MAjor help. My first child coming soon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First Digital Camera. MAjor help. My first child coming soon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I recommend a Canon Powershot. Fast, easy to use, and takes
by magicnmystery / November 16, 2008 11:10 PM PST

great pics

Collapse -
First Child
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 11:11 PM PST

Take a look at the Canon "SD" series of cameras and the Sony "W" series of cameras.

Most are in your price range and they produce sharp photos.

With a newborn, it is advisable to NOT use the flash when their eyes are open. Not a difficult restriction since most newborns have their eyes closed most of the time anyway.

Collapse -
Any specific digital camera?
by KoS_Makenshi / November 17, 2008 11:46 AM PST
In reply to: First Child

Any specific Canon Powershot, or Sony Cybershot?

Heres a couple Ive been looking at.
Canon PowerShot SD880 IS
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS
Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T100
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T77
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W80
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150
and
Fujifilm FinePix F50fd
because I heard somewhere larger image sensor size means better quality pictures.....

Top 3 between these??? Idk... I agree with the comment about flash and the baby....Which camera is best for indoor, no flash pics? I hate noise, and blur ~_~

Collapse -
Uggghhh CORRECTION.....
by KoS_Makenshi / November 17, 2008 11:50 AM PST

The wife just slashed my budget to $200 no more.... -_-

Collapse -
Digital Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 18, 2008 12:07 AM PST

If you use a tripod to steady the camera, most any small camera will work well in low light without a flash.

That is because you need to keep the ISO setting low to prevent noise.
That requires that you use a slow shutter speed to get enough light into the camera.

A camera that you can hand hold in low light will cost over $700/$800.

Which of the point and shoot cameras will work best in low light?
Any difference will be too small to be helpful.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?