Desktops forum

General discussion

first computer fried, looking towards options for second

by SnypaTrix / January 13, 2007 1:09 PM PST

I came home to find out my computer had been fried, well our home computer. My brother told me the news. He said while it was on it made a popping noise and some smoke came out. I know some things about computers, the most in my household but not enough to know how to fix or build a computer. I figure it's fried though. I called a few pc repair stores and a few even said they have dealt with emachines before. They said usually when the power supply goes out it takes out the motherboard. So after calling about six or so stores, my cheapest price on replacing both the power supply and motherboard with labor was $150. My first question is, is that a reasonable price? Or should i look elsewhere and maybe even try learning how to put it in myself? So i thought well I?m putting that much into an old machine, bought in 2002, maybe i should put in double that and i can get a better machine. The most i could probably put into it is $400. If anything in my old pc is usable i could even use them and of course my monitor. Looking through Google there are so many places that sell parts and already built pcs. There?s stores to and eBay. So it?s pretty hectic. If I do fix what I have now and its under $100 I can do it soon. If I have to spend $400 then I may have to wait til February because of finical issues. I really don?t want to wait til February but if I did order parts online I?d have to wait anyway. Below is the specs of my emachine, well what I could find. Any advice and help is greatly appreciated. If you need any more information let me know. Thanks.

Emachines T4165

System Specs
Type of system: Desktops/Servers
Bus Architecture: PCI/AGP
Hard Drive Bus: EIDE
Native OS: Windows XP Home
CPU Type: 1.6GHz Intel Pentium 4

Memory Specs
Standard Memory: 256 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory: 2 GB
Memory Expansion: 2 sockets
Memory Comments: PC100/PC133 SDRAM Modules

It has a CD/RW and a DVD drive

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: first computer fried, looking towards options for second
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: first computer fried, looking towards options for second
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Buy new
by linkit / January 13, 2007 3:26 PM PST

Not worth fixing, IMO. It's a couple generations too old. Buy a new computer.

Collapse -
alright
by SnypaTrix / January 13, 2007 8:48 PM PST
In reply to: Buy new

so where should i buy a new computer? online or at a store? custom built or new? I'll have like $400 to spend so i want as much as i can for my money.

Collapse -
new computer
by linkit / January 14, 2007 11:21 AM PST
In reply to: alright

As a personal preference, I build my own. It's a matter of cost efficiency--I spend money on the parts and software I want, and I don't spend money on extras that I don't want or will never use.

With the $400 price limit, your best bet for a complete new system likely is from a major manufacturer with a discount coupon. These systems may be found online or in national chain stores.

Collapse -
E....machine....eeekkk!!!
by castingRod47 / January 16, 2007 6:19 PM PST

Take the Emachine and throw it into the E-dumpster.

Collapse -
Got Milk..??
by castingRod47 / January 16, 2007 6:29 PM PST

Try a better machine...
Those specs are real bad..
I would say your definitely in need of SUPPORT..
so it sems your stuck w/DELL or Hewlett Packard..
unless your more careful now and purchase a SONY PC..
Some things have changed in PC..
Prices have risen....machines have lots of power..
If your interested in Internet Surfing and Music Creation..only..the CELERON D is real good at 2.66GHz..lower requires some smarts..
512 MB's of RAM is a must..
and Pentium is the best choice of all..
Look for a good cheap Machine from DELL....
They seem to have some great models at $$800.00(the price of my 1st-machine)..lower priced machines might need configuration(tricky)..
Lenovo seems to have a really nice machine at $$800.00..
I think its the Me55a or something....P4..3.06/512MB's RAM..it will need some upgradeing like a external DVD-burner..but with the latest in OS..that will be you best New Start to PC-computeing.

Collapse -
Lenovo Machine...
by castingRod47 / January 16, 2007 6:35 PM PST
In reply to: Got Milk..??

Lenovo ThinkCentre M55e 9637/
This is a perfect first PC.

Collapse -
No way!
by linkit / January 16, 2007 6:43 PM PST
In reply to: Got Milk..??
"Pentium is the best choice of all."

It's difficult to support that statement.

Many AMD Athlon 64, X2, and FX CPU's outperform Pentium 4 and Pentium D systems. Intel's Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPU's (not Pentiums) are much better than Pentiums.

For inexpensive, entry level computers, many AMD systems are just as good or better than Pentium systems.
Collapse -
How about a custom built?
by SnypaTrix / January 17, 2007 10:52 AM PST

Alright its nice that you guys have suggestions but i do have a price area i need to maintain, around $400. Someone suggested buying these parts below and using the cdrw and dvd-rom drives and monitor i have. I was also suggested buying a refurbished dell for around the same price. Thoughts?

Rosewill case (Micro ATX compatible) w/ 350w power supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811147010

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 dual-core processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103733

PC Chips Micro-ATX AM2 motherboard w/ onboard Nvidia 6100 graphics

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813185084

2x512MB (1GB) PQI DDR2 533 SDRAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820141225

Windows XP

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16832116169

Collapse -
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY
by SCOTTRIGGLE / January 22, 2007 1:40 AM PST

OK-ALL THE STUFF EVERYONE IS TELLING YOU. FORGET IT. MOST OF THOSE PEOPLE DON'T EVEN USE THE FULL POTENTIAL OF THE COMPUTER. THEY BOUGHT IT BECAUSE IT WAS COOL OR THEIR BUDDY HAS ONE. THEY MAKE A REPLACEMENT POWER SUPPLY FOR YOUR EMACHINE, I'M GUESSING IT'S NOT A NORMAL SIZE POWER SUPPLY?? GO TO YOUR NEAREST COMPUTER SHOP, PREFERABLY ONE YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TO YET, BECAUSE 9 OUT OF 10 COMPUTER SHOPS ARE GOING TO RIP YOU OFF OR TRY TO. TAKE THE OLD POWER SUPPLY ONLY AND ASK FOR A A REPLACEMENT THAT SIZE. THEN HOOK IT BACK UP AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. I HAVE WORKED ON MANY EMACHINES, AND YES THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE BUT, BUT ONLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR DISKS OR YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GET THE PARTS. If YOUR JUST USING YOUR COMPUTER TO GET ONLINE EVEN PALYING A FEW GAMES, WHAT YOU HAVE IS GOOD ENOUGH.

later

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?