Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

General discussion

Firmware Upgrade for previous Series 7 Models (LN40A750) ?

by mrjiggler / July 26, 2009 9:24 AM PDT

I bought the above TV last year and at the time it was start of the art... but now with the new Media 2.0, Internet capabilities and other advanced media features on this year's models I am wishing i waited.

Is there a chance Samsung will release a firmware upgrade on this older model to enable MEDIA 2.0?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firmware Upgrade for previous Series 7 Models (LN40A750) ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firmware Upgrade for previous Series 7 Models (LN40A750) ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 28, 2009 11:42 AM PDT

mrjiggler,

The televisions today, particularly with the Media 2.0 features, require more technology and memory than what exists in the 2008 "A Series" models. So to directly answer your question, these are not options that will be available on the LN40A750 or any 2008 models, unfortunately.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by renet / December 20, 2010 2:16 AM PST

I can hardly believe this an official Samsung response. It seems Samsung is telling NOT to buy TVs with a lot of features because they will become obsolete really soon.

Why pay over $1,000 so the TV has APPs if you can buy another device for the fraction of that premium?

I have come to realize that the other thing that is obsolete is our rationale as consumers... how frequently did we use to buy TVs? It used to be many years between purchases but now, vitctims to the fast-evolving technology, we desire to buy them more frequently because they fall obsolete sooner.

My conclusion is that we should be buying only the less expensive TVs that have sufficient capabilities (resolution and framerate), use them as mere DISPLAYS and stick to external devices to feed the signals to our displays.

Boxee, Apple TV or Media Centers will continue to be more powerful and flexible (and upgradeable) than TVs and Blue-Ray players.

Collapse -
Firmware Upgrade for previous Series 7 Models (LN40A750)
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 20, 2010 9:20 AM PST

renet,

I have an option of being "PR"-ish or being realistic. I choose to be straightforward because it better answers the question, and possibly opens dialogue. Few companies do this today, for the very criticisms posted above.

To answer your question, the premium was because back in 2008, nobody had Apps before our 2008 initial offering of "infoLink" which was a text based (okay, light graphics) GUI. Two years later, partnerships, agreements, upgrades, new design innovations and thinner TVs can stream Netflix. In a word, it's progress. It's not always backwards compatible.

On the contrary, all manufacturers offer the best products they can at the time it's sold. After that, new features may be available next year that may not be available or work on the prior years model. That's certainly not unique to Samsung. I don't recall any option to read the news, weather or stock information on any of our competitors (it could be, but I don't think so). So at the time it was sold, it did things other companies can't do. Few companies, if any, have also gone back and retro-fitted older models with the newer capabilities - and for the same reason. It wasn't a consideration when it was designed. I don't make it a point to compare to other competitors, but I think the point fits.

I think you made a great observation. Sometimes people forget that they purchased state of the art at the time of purchase, and still have a great panel to watch. New features like movie streaming, DLNA and other features have matured, and the hardware now used reflects that.

There are lots of choices and options. I appreciate when people purchase Samsung products. That said, it's difficult to apologize for progress when new models offer new features that weren't available on TVs the year prior.

We offer a lot of the popular Internet@TV features on 2010 model Blu-Ray players, too, so if that's something that you want to have, it now doesn't require replacing the TV.

I hope that addresses your concerns a little better.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Firmware Upgrade for previous Series 7 Models (LN40A750)
by PeterNikolic / August 7, 2012 7:02 AM PDT

Hi I just want say one thing. I have this SAMSUNG TV LN40A750 since 2008 and it doesn't have all those bells and whistles but I love it anyways. It's incredible device and I hope I will be able to use it for a many, many years.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!