Samsung forum

General discussion

firmware ?

by rebs081 / April 4, 2009 11:20 PM PDT

with a ln46a650 is it posible to revert to firmware 2007 from 2008.9 ?
what would happen if this was done ? I have read about people trying different firmware and finding one they prefer, as in the case of 1003m, 1003g and others.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: firmware ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: firmware ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
firmware ?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 5, 2009 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: firmware ?

rebs081,

Sure it's possible.

Why would you go to an older firmware version when you have a newer one?

--HDTech

Collapse -
firmware
by rebs081 / April 5, 2009 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: firmware ?

my LN46A650 came with 2008.9 and my friends came with 2004. He can adjust his AMP setting and get a 3d picture like you are right in the audience, it really pops. On mine with 2008.9 adjusting AMP does not change anything, no 3d and no pop.
Is there anyway I can get 2004 from Samsung ?

Thank you for your help

Collapse -
firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 5, 2009 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: firmware

rebs081,

I don't have access, or the ability to distribute obselete firmwares.

The best I might suggest is calling 800-SAMSUNG and making an inquiry with Product Support.

Be cautious when looking for it on the internet. I haven't heard of any bad batches of firmware "floating around the audience", but if you do find it online, please verify it's a trusted source. And naturally, the disclaimer of recommending you not go that route is something I have to add.

--HDTech

Collapse -
firmware
by rebs081 / April 5, 2009 10:09 PM PDT

Do you know of any thing else, possibly hardware that was changed that would have caused this model to loose the ability to display a 3d look and pop other than firmware ?

Collapse -
Losing pop
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 6, 2009 8:51 AM PDT

rebs081,

I'm not sure why you'd be "losing pop" with an inverter board replacement. The hardware was designed to get rid of the IR, and in most cases doesn't affect the picture quality. If you think it has, then I would definitely address this with service.

Could it be that the settings on a cable box are low, or that other sources aren't sending in the best possible picture? If that's not the case, I'd recommend making an inquiry to get your unit serviced.

--HDTech

Collapse -
firmware
by rebs081 / April 6, 2009 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Losing pop

The inverter board on my set has not been changed since I owned it, or was this inverter board a change with sets coming with firmware 2008.9 suck as mine?
When I change AMP setting from off to low, medium or high, there is no difference in the picture at all, even in demo mode both sides of the screen are the same. Like I said on my friends when he changes AMP setting his picture really pops and has 3d look as if you were right there in the audiance or bleachers at a basket ball game. Is it possible I have a faulty inverter board ? Is that tyhe main board or one of the other boards?
Thank you for all your help, I do appreciate it

Collapse -
firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 6, 2009 11:10 AM PDT

rebs081,

Yes, 6-series - my bad. [blush] Grin Sorry!

I don't think it would be the inverter board causing this, but I don't know how to generate a perceived "pop" on your panel when your friend's panel seems to be better.

You might call and not that your AMP feature isn't working as it should be (it doesn't fix anything? Blu-Ray? HD signals?) and see if maybe they'll send a tech out to take a look at it.

Outside of that, I don't have any settings that I could give you that would assist you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
firmware
by rebs081 / April 6, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

Is the AMP controlled on the main board or one of the other boards?
It may not be related but I also have a problem with loosing the sounds, when watching the samsung 500 on sunday the sound dropped out 6 or 7 times, and has happened on other occasions as well. Is it trye that the amp settings in the service menu were toned down in recent firmware versions ? I am thinking it is the AMP that gives other sets the live 3d look.

Collapse -
firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 6, 2009 11:40 AM PDT

rebs081,

I believe that the AMP processing is on the main board.

Sound dropouts can be a result of the digital signal not connecting properly, or from a malfunction in the television. Instead of audio static, drop-outs are the digial version of static.

That said, I've seen some shows where the AMP settings don't change anything on one channel, and on a different input signal, makes a world of difference. I don't have a definitive explanation of why you don't see a difference (or a difference doesn't exist), so a service call may still be the best route.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
firmware
by rebs081 / April 11, 2009 12:13 AM PDT

the sound drop outs continue since I bought and setup a new out door antenna for local HD channels, proving that it is not just a cable carrier problem. Now what can I do ?

Collapse -
firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 13, 2009 6:28 PM PDT

rebs081,

Dropouts are the digital version of "static".

If you think it's the television, you can call 800-SAMSUNG and have the unit inspected by an authorised repair center.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?