PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Firewire ports. . .

by Coryphaeus / April 6, 2004 9:02 AM PDT

My new home built PC case (with a Shuttle main board and AMD 2400+ processor, 512 Meg RAM) has two Firewire knockouts on the front of the case next to two (of 6 total) USB 2.0 ports. I'm looking for a PCI Firewire card that will connect/attach/adapt to the knockouts on the front of the case. All Firewire PCI cards I can find on the net have the ports on the card, which will be behind the PC. Have I just not found the one with ports on cords that will attach to the knockouts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firewire ports. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firewire ports. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Firewire ports. . .
by jconner / April 6, 2004 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewire ports. . .

My case from www.internetishop.com had a wiring harness which acomplished this essentially transfering the rear connectors to the front. Maybe they have something specific to your needs.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Firewire ports. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 6, 2004 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Firewire ports. . .

Found the site, lots of stuff. Could you point me in the right direction? Searching for firewire shows one PCI card and four external HDs.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Firewire ports. . .
by chuckieu / April 7, 2004 2:43 AM PDT

Wayne, I mostly bought my card because it was on sale, but I got what I wanted. It is a Inland 08323. It has 4 outlets, 3 on the back and 1 on the inside. This is the
one I'll run to the front panel. Don't have a knockout, so I'm looking for connectors(firewire,USB, mic and audio)to mod my case. This will only give you 1 front plug, but me, if I need more, I'll run a hub, like I did
for USB 2.0. chuck

Collapse -
Also-
by chuckieu / April 7, 2004 2:48 AM PDT

It came with a 1394a(6 prong-400mb) to ilink(4 prong video-400mb) adapter cable.

Collapse -
Thanks. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 7, 2004 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Also-

I guess the point is really moot, I don't have a single thing that uses Firewire. I was just looking for "stuff" to fill up the ports.

I have 6 USB 2 ports, more than I need.

Collapse -
Re:Thanks. . .
by chuckieu / April 8, 2004 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks. . .

Same here. 4 USB 2.0 ports on the back, 4-way hub on top,
3 firewire ports on back. Place on MOBO and firewire card to add 6 USB 1.1, 1 firewire, Mic, and audio in front. Don't necessarily need them, but looking to the future. IF YOU BUILD THEM, THEY WILL COME. Wink chuck

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Firewire ports. . .
by jconner / April 8, 2004 2:43 AM PDT

Sorry, I did not answer sooner. I had to find the information. The case came with a multi-pin connector inside the front behind all the ports. A connecting cable is provided which goes to one of the snap outs by the PCI's and has another multi-pin connector. There is a second cable which plugs into that connector and has all the different other connectors (sound, midi, firewire, usb etc.) These are plugged into the back ports and route all or whatever you want to the front. I suspect this is unique to this case and other cases would expect you to have onboard connectors or as was previously stated additional connectors on the PCI cards. What I have would require you to buy a new case. I'm surprised your case did not come with something similar or at least the necessary individual cables to accomplish something similar. If interested I can get you the case manufacturer's name.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Firewire ports. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 8, 2004 10:48 AM PDT

Thanks.

My system board came with 2 USB-2 ports on the board itself and two dual port connectors on the board. Two went to the front and two to the rear for a total of six. My board does not have Firewire on board so I need a PCI card. But not really, as I said in the other post, I don't have anything Firewire. Just wanted to fill in the holes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.