TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

FIREWIRE 1080P ?????????

by stewart norrie / April 7, 2006 4:32 AM PDT

This keeps popping up Blue ray players must use a fire wire for a 1080P picture, So I checked Toshibas and Sonys web side and got the specs and connections. Toshiba h.d. players use the h.d.m.i. port for 1080I and Sony Uses the h.d.m.i. for 1080P both units have no firewire port also I went to Magnolia and was told that you must use firewire. There was a Pioneer sales rep that heard the remark and said yess h.d.m.i. will carry 1080P and 1080I signals. I do know that firewire is used for cameras, and hi-def v.t.r.s If you folks know of other uses for firewire PLEASE POST. Anyway I have that extra h.d.m.i. port all ready for the blue ray player It should look awsome. I also got information that if you buy the Sony blue ray player $1000 you get 3 free hi-def moviesNow that Iam 68 years old they better hurry up Iam almost ready for the casket stewart

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FIREWIRE 1080P ?????????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FIREWIRE 1080P ?????????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI
by Dan Filice / April 7, 2006 6:02 AM PDT

Stew,

There certainly a lot of confusion and information flying around about how DVD players send HD. I know that Firewire can certainly send HD signals, as can component, but from what I've read the manufacturers seem to be forcing the HDMI connection to access the HD signals from DVD players. I would guess that the new DVD players have all sorts of copy-protection imbedded in HD DVDs and to protect the HD signal home users will be forced to use HDMI where the signal can be controlled.

Hey, I've got a shovel. Where do I start digging?

Dan

Collapse -
for the last time
by masterying01 / April 7, 2006 6:26 AM PDT

1.) no, blueray will not have firewire
2.) blueray transfers 1080p through hdmi, and hd dvd will be capable of transferring 1080p through hdmi.

3.) the talk of the firewire is not for the player, its talking about YOUR TV. YOUR TV WILL NOT TAKE IN 1080P SIGNALS THROUGH HDMI. it will ONLY take a 1080p signal through firewire inputs. so basically, YOUR TV WILL NEVER GET A TRUE 1080p SIGNAL....UNLESS YOU PUT A 1080p MOVIE ONTO A HARDDRIVE, THEN CONNECTED IT TO YOUR TV.

Collapse -
OK, I'm confused. Help...
by Dan Filice / April 7, 2006 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: for the last time

If the DVD players will ONLY use HDMI for HD, but if the TVs won't (to quote:"YOUR TV WILL NOT TAKE IN 1080P SIGNALS THROUGH HDMI. it will ONLY take a 1080p signal through firewire inputs.), then how will the new HD or Blueray players connect to TVs?

Collapse -
SONY SAYS
by stewart norrie / April 7, 2006 7:28 AM PDT

Just called Sony and was toled that yes you will get a 1080P picture with h.d.m.i. if your t.v. will do 1080P BUT THE TRUTH IS IN THE PUDDIN, I guess the hi-def v.c.r.s took a flop I do know the hi-def v.c.r. tapes were very expensive and were hard to find Gone just like the reverb units, Beta Max, quadrophonic, 3D, and lite shows ha ha stewart

Collapse -
its like usb2.0 and 1.0
by masterying01 / April 7, 2006 6:28 PM PDT

the hdmi in tv's right now are 1.1 or 1.2(with the exception of the HP DLP's). they are capable of 1080i resolution. due to bandwidth limitations (think about the speed difference between usb1.0 and usb2.0), they will not transfer a true 1080p signal.

so just like when you use a usb2.0 device on a usb1.0 port, it will still work, but it will be slower.

so what will happen is.....the dvd will output a true 1080p through the DVD PLAYER'S HDMI PORT....but will be limited to 1080I as it enters the tv. but once the 1080i signal is in the 1080p tv...the tv itself will convert it back to 1080p.

eventually, new tv's (sony's 55inch xbr sxrd's) will be comming out with HDMI ports that CAN transfer 1080p signal. or they will provide updates to tv's for a small fee (sony's qualia series can get that upgrade).

its confusing as hell, but it is what it is.

Collapse -
PLEASE GUYS IAM STILL CONFUSED
by stewart norrie / April 7, 2006 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: for the last time

Please dont get mad at me Iam still trying to figue this darn thing out. OK my Toshiba does have two 4 pin firewire ports one says in the other says out. So if the h.d. d.v.d. players have only h.d.m.i. ports that means no one will get a 1080P picture This doesnt make any since I emailed toshiba and I got a reply saying that my Toshiba would give me a true 1080P picture and my manual is very vauge about the firewire input saying this port is for vidio cameras and hi-def v.t.r. players and nothing about firewire for d.v.d. players come on pros lets figure this one out

Collapse -
High-def VTR's
by Dan Filice / April 7, 2006 7:02 AM PDT

Stewart,

A high-def VTR is essentially what a high-def DVD player or recorder is. VTR stands for Video Tape Recorder (in the "old days" this was VHS), but nowdays they make high-def VHS players and high-def DVD players and DVD recorders. But, the VTR sends a video signal the same as a DVD player. I'm assuming Toshiba is using the VTR abbreviation in general terms, meaning any device that plays or records high-def.

My old Toshiba does not have DVI or HDMI, only component, so I'm in no rush to stumble into a new high-def DVD unit. My new Sony LCD in the bedroom has both, but I'm in no hurry to get high-def DVDs in the bedroom. Component is fine for now. All of my friends who I invite over for dinner and a movie are blown away by how good my Toshiba RPTV is using component DVD, so I wouldn't want to risk injuring them with a new high-def DVD signal. Happy

Collapse -
DAN WHAT KIND OF TOSHIBA RPTV DPO YOU OWN?
by stewart norrie / April 7, 2006 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: High-def VTR's

Ive been braging so much about my new Toshiba 72HM195 Iam sorry but The 1080I picture I receive from my dish 811 system using d.v.i. to h.d.m.i. cable is off the charts as far as picture quality goes discovery h.d. theater looks as good as 70m.m. film Thats why ive got the hots for the new blue thing. watching hi-def d.v.d. should blow your mind away anyway my mind is blown already have a nice weekend stewart

Collapse -
My old Toshiba
by Dan Filice / April 7, 2006 7:36 AM PDT

Stew,

I have an older RPTV, probably like your old Sony was. But, I'm happy to say, my RPTV has a stunning picture and HD NET and DiscoverHD really pop! But, it has a more theatrical film look to it. My small bedroom Sony LCD is brilliant...almost artifical, which is what your TV is like. One day, 'ol Nelly will give up the ship and I'll buy a new flat screen. If I bought one today, I'd probably sell one of my kids and buy a Sony SXRD model. I'd sell my wife, but I've got to give her credit...she was the one who convinced me to get rid of our 27" set and buy the 50" in the first place.

Collapse -
DAN SAW A 3 TUBE TOSHIBA AND SONY SIDE BY SIDE
by stewart norrie / April 7, 2006 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: My old Toshiba

they were a blow out sale so sad but were both hookedup to a good vidio source . I was able to fiddle with the remotes and did a auto convergence and you are rite the sony just didn"t compare to the toshiba on the Sony you could see the fringes and not nearly as sharp I hated to sell my 65" Sony on ebay for a louzy $650 but this 72" Toshiba is stunning anyway have a nice week end pal stewart

Collapse -
Stew, some updated Blu-Ray info...GOOD!
by Dan Filice / April 7, 2006 10:19 AM PDT

Stewart,

The following info is form the Video Blog section here on this forum. It's a discussion about the upcoming Sony Blu-Ray DVD player, model BDP-S1. Wow! I'm now similing! This is GREAT info. The player will cost $1000 upon release, but hey, costs and technology will trickle down:

"The unit will offer a 1080p oputput via HDMI--something upcoming HD-DVD players will not. Sony Pictures and other studios also recently announced that none of their Blu-ray discs will downconvert the analog component-video outputs, so tens of thousands of owners of HDTVs that lack HDMI inputs will still be able to enjoy the Blu-ray movies at full HD resolution via the BDP-S1 and other forthcoming Blu-ray players. In addition, the new player will upconvert standard DVD discs, which it can also play, to resolutions as high as 1080p via HDMI, which may improve image quality on some compatible televisions."

Notice the info about the HD signal being played on HDTVs that don't have an HDMI connection AND more importantly, it will play BOTH old and new DVD formats. Yippee!!!

Collapse -
DAN YIPI YA YA #2
by stewart norrie / April 7, 2006 11:57 AM PDT

I can hardly wait to see a 1080P picture on my toshiba . I do know that my 1080I picture is jawdropping. and if a 1080P picture is better than that WOW. how good can you get. All I know is I have lived long enough to see ugly television turn into a movie theater experience and at a price that anyone one can afford To me hi-def is the hottest technology since the light bulb ha haThanks to the broadcasters and manufatures for this hi-def thing come true always nice to chat with Dan the Man

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.