Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Firewalls - which to use

Have Panda antivirus which seems to cover all bases re spam, pop up ads, firewall, antivirus,spyware and anti dialer.

Just now learning about Windows firewall, antivirus and IE pop up blockers. Just read on line that have two of such programs can cause problems for one's PC and programs one has running.

Tried turning off Windows firewall as was told this was the biggest issue having two firewalls but it keeps coming back on soon as I log off and log back on again.

So question is do double programs of windows protection plus one's virus etc. programs cause problems? And how does one turn off windows firewall without it reinstating itself all the time?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firewalls - which to use
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firewalls - which to use
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Firewalls - which to use

In reply to: Firewalls - which to use

You didn't say if you have SP2 loaded on your system. If you do, the Windows firewall will be listed in the Control Panel. On the general tab - you'll see the "On" and "Off" selectors. Are these settings reverting to a default "On" position, whenever you reboot?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Firewalls - which to use

Completely forgot to list my PC stats:
WinXP service pack 2
browsers IE and Mozilla
Outlook Express as email

Yes the WinXP firewall goes to default each time I log off and back on. And have found the Windows Firewall icon in control panel so that is where I am trying to turn off the firewall.

Collapse -
Re: Firewalls - which to use .......PS...

Microsoft has stated:

"...Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or a different software firewall, can provide substantial protection for your computer."

In the Microsoft Help and Support Center for SP2:

"In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Firewall is turned on by default. (However, some computer manufacturers and network administrators
might turn it off.) You do not have to use Windows Firewall-you can install and run any firewall that you choose. Evaluate the features of other firewalls and then decide which firewall best meets your needs. If you choose to install and run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall."

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 875356
How to configure the Windows Firewall feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2

It states:

"...If you decide to install and run another firewall, turn off Windows
Firewall..."
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875356

In pcworld.com, an article by Scott Spanbauer
From the October 2004 issue of PC World magazine
Posted Friday, August 27, 2004
Under, "Tweak the Firewall" for SP2 one of his paragraphs echoes the MSKB
and the MS Help & Support Center:

"Once you've installed a bidirectional firewall, I recommend disabling the Windows Firewall altogether. Occasionally, firewalls obstruct an application
you're trying to use over a network connection--and there's nothing more frustrating than spending a half hour tweaking, disabling, and even uninstalling a firewall, only to discover that the other firewall was the culprit. To disable the Windows Firewall in the Security Center, click the Windows Firewall link at the bottom of the dialog box, check Off (not
recommended) in the next window, and click OK."

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Firewalls - which to use .......PS...

Have followed your instructions, now have Security Center icon on desktop and all works beautifully. Thanks so much for confirmation of info that you provided. Now does this also apply to virus protection as I see WinXP service Pk2 has virus protection and I also use Panda virus protection? Gets confusing for us inexperienced PCers:)

Collapse -

SP2 does not have a anti-virus program. Your Panda anti-virus should be enabled. I use Nortons on my WinXP and the free AVG on the others. I would also suggest the free AdAware and free SpyBot for Spyware.

Collapse -

Thank you John. And will look into adware and spybot even though Panda has such features.

Collapse -

Thanks for tip John will follow through and see how I do. If have problems will be back:)

Collapse -
which one should one use!!!

Firstly, not sure if one should address one in the 3rd person or not - so "I" won't (only joking!!!)- I have not installed sp2 as yet (and wont for a while either) - I used Norton system works 2003 which includes a virus program - i also use "ad-aware" and "zone alarm" - when i installed Norton antivirus i was having troubles with "live update" and one of Norton's articles hinted at a possible cause being a conflict with "windows firewall". I managed to get antivirus working but it was not clear if this was the cause.
In any case after getting "zone alarm", which is a firewall program, I turned windows firewall off, as Zone alarm does the same thing and more. Zone alarm also provides an option to incorporate a third party virus program so I have not found any conflict between these 2 either.
To summaries, I have turned windows fire wall off as i found it redundant - not sure what some of the "Gurus" might suggest - but hey, I am still here and haven't had an active/fatal virus as yet!!!!
Peter
Peter

Collapse -

I don't have any problem with running third party firewall with built-in firewall turning on.
However, if you want to turn off Windows XP Firewall ( not recommended), here you go:
*Start->control panel->Network connection.
*Right click on local area connection icon ->Properties
*Select Advance tab ->Settings on Windows Firewall
*Turn off Firewall , then OK.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.