HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Applications forum

General discussion

Firewalls for W98

by Tosca / June 4, 2006 10:14 AM PDT

Couple of questions/requests:
1.I'm looking for recommendations for free software firewalls for W98se - any out there worth looking at?
2. I used Sygate which was fine but did slow down my system and I'm seriously wondering whether I need a firewall at all since I do not bank or buy on the internet - any advice for me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firewalls for W98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firewalls for W98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firewall Zone-Alarm Free
by dogteams1 / June 4, 2006 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Firewalls for W98

I will say the way you surf is what picks up alot of Spyware,Cookies,.Most user's get the junk by clicking,on the wrong things in thier mail,Web-Pages.
Sygate is a good free firewall but it is also a memory hog,and not for the novice.Zone-Alarm after testing alot of firewalls is my pick of the free firewalls.
A very Friendly Fire-Wall.
I also Recomend Avg Free Anti-virus.Plus Spyware-Blaster.You don't say what all your running,That why i'm adding the top free stuff.Lava-softs Ad-aware,Spybot,Also i would pick counterspy over Microsofts Defender Which won't run on 98 Also Spysweeper won't run on 98 who care's your not missing anything by not running them.
For clean up i would pick cccleaner for cookies and temp but when it comes to the Registry my pick after trying all is old faithful Pc-tools (Registry Mechanic)I Don't know what browser your useing if its IE then tighten down the zones.And if your on Broad-band they can hit u quicker.You can use a hardware firewall which would really help also u would need a Router.

Dogteams1

Collapse -
Free Spyware/SpamStoppers cont.
by Tosca / June 4, 2006 2:07 PM PDT

Thanks for the recommendations - I should have noted that I use Firefox most of the time; Netscape 7.1 on occasion, IE never. I also use AVG and Spybot and will check out the others mentioned. I used to have ZoneAlaram and honestly don't recall why I switched to Sygate but will take another look. Thanks again - Tosca

Collapse -
Use previous version-Latest ZA not 9x compatible
by denniseckhaus / June 6, 2006 7:25 AM PDT

ZoneAlarm is fine, but the latest version is no longer compatible with 9x. Just download the previous version and it'll work.

Don't worry too much about their warnings that it'll no longer be updated for future threats. A Firewall blocks anything incoming or outgoing that you tell it to block. Their warnings relate more appropriately to features in some of their paid versions that include virus scanners and spyware removers. You'll be using other applications for those things.

Collapse -
98 Firewalls
by Tosca / June 6, 2006 2:31 PM PDT

Thanks for the tip and more importantly, the information - Tosca

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.