Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Firewall. The right one?

by meet_kareem / April 1, 2006 10:50 PM PST

Thanks for all the good advice re having a Firewall.
Now to select the right one!
I have Windows 2000 Professional. The computer is professional, not me. I am a novice. I use Rogers-Yahoo Hi-Speed Internet services with their Online Protection Software suite.

I do Internet Banking, e-mails & surf a little.
I had Zonelabs Free Edition Firewall recommended by Rogers-Yahoo & one day whilst updating the Firewall my computer crashed. Spent plenty of $$$$'s having Windows re-installed etc. Since then, which was October 2005, I have not installed another Firewall.

So do I go for Zonelabs again or maybe McAfee or another? Please assist & 'Thank you' again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firewall. The right one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firewall. The right one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For me...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2006 11:00 PM PST

Zone Alarm has been fine. But if I encounter an update I delay it until I watch that no reports came in. You may also want to know that all the antivirus makers have suffered at one time or another update glitches. Even Microsoft...

If you were looking for something that this would never happen you may be looking for a very long time.

I'm a little concerned that it cost you money to install this OS. Windows 2000 Professional is a "Pro" OS so it's a handful that we as owners need to keep up our skills to backup and restore when need be.

-> In fact, these crashes are not unheard of on any PC so to finger ZoneAlarm would be interesting but with all those exploits such as the recent IE exploit that no firewall or antivirus will block we come back to arming ourselves to the teeth and avoiding IE/OE and Outlook.

You don't use those, do you?

Bob

Collapse -
Right Firewall
by meet_kareem / April 2, 2006 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: For me...

Bob. Thanks for the info. Please explain to me.
Your comments below, what is OS?
What is a "PRO" OS.
Where is OS & how do I Backup & restore when needed.
Sorry about the ignorance!
Peter.
You wrote:
"I'm a little concerned that it cost you money to install this OS. Windows 2000 Professional is a "Pro" OS so it's a handful that we as owners need to keep up our skills to backup and restore when need be."

Collapse -
Pro OS =...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2006 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Right Firewall

A Professional OS. This OS was marketed to "pros" that would dive in and pick up the books or classes.

Backup and restore is not a fully functional feature of this OS. We have to decide what we want to do here. In your case some external drive with Acronis could have helped, but after this many years (2000 is 6 years old) can I ask how you avoided backup?

Maybe there is some untold story here such as the machine was a gift or other.

Bob

Collapse -
OS = Operating System.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2006 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Pro OS =...

Sorry to not define that in my last post.

Bob

Collapse -
Backup Pro OS
by meet_kareem / April 2, 2006 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Pro OS =...

I only know how to create an "Emergency Repair Disk plus Registry" which I do every month on a floppy disk.

What else should I backup & HOW?
Thanks again for the assistance Bob.

Collapse -
If I wanted an "easy" recovery system...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2006 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Backup Pro OS

I'd get an external USB 2.0 hard disk (big as you can get?) and ACRONIS (please use google.com to find out what that is.)

This will let you backup an image of your hard disk when you please and also restore said image by booting the Acronis CD.

The thing about backup is this is not considered a stellar backup but one that is usable to recover from most failures. Not to beat up as to the definition of backup but a proper backup involves multiple copies, write protected media and copies that are "off site." It's a deep subject.

But for most, the USB hard disk and Acronis would be a great system. Some hard disks include such a backup and restore system. But I can't tell if they do what is called "bare metal" restores (again, please google terms you haven't heard of.) That is, does the restore software allow restoring to a machine that has no OS installed?

Bob

Collapse -
Easy Recovery System
by meet_kareem / April 3, 2006 10:33 AM PDT

Well Bob.When my system crashed it apparently took out Windows 2000 Pro.
So where would one start there?
I guess a technician would have to clean the computer, reload windows & proceed.
How the technician recovered "My Documents etc" I really don't know but I was grateful.
Wow ! Each day is almost a challenge.
Thank goodness for you Guys as well.
Peter

Collapse -
It appears you didn't find out about Acronis.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2006 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy Recovery System

I don't duplicate web content. Acronis boots from the CD and you could restore. Sorry, but if I did duplicate web content this small space would be overwhelmed and I'd have to work hard...

Bob

Collapse -
Acronis
by meet_kareem / April 4, 2006 1:08 AM PDT

Hi Bob.
Yes I did go to Acronis & have copied & pasted the article.
Still have to absorb it to see if a novice like me could handle it!
When my computer crashed I obviously could not open Windows. So are you saying if that happened again, I could place the Acronis CD in & it would recover whatever? Sounds good. The price was $195. US i guess.
Thanks..........Peter

Collapse -
Do a little shopping but..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2006 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Acronis

In a nutshell, with Acronis, USB hard disk of sufficient size, the backup copy made, you can crash, boot the Acronis CD and restore from that last backup copy.

But all that should be in the product brochures. You may also want to explore ready to use USB hard disk with backup "push buttons." Some will restore a crashed machine, some don't.

You may want to do more shopping around. 29.95 for Acronis at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832200204&CMP=BAC-tbcpc

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.