Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Firewall scanning of ports

by phil66 / April 2, 2005 3:44 AM PST

Hi group

I am new to firewall(Sygate5.5)I keep getting port scans from my isp.I questioned why and sent logs to show results in return this is this latest answer I recieved from my ISP

"These scans are simply 'background noise' of the internet and will always occur. They are the result of infected machines still trying to propigate.
If you provide detailed firewall logs, we may identify those that are infected and notify them. As long as your system is fully updated with
microsoft security patches and latest virusdefinitions, virtually all of this traffic is harmless"

Window ME Updates
Spybot search & Destroy
Spyware Blaster
Win Patrol
Adware personnel se 1.05
And numerous others for spot checks including Housecall and Panda online scanners

As I said earlier I am not familiar with firewall but this sounds like a lot of foolish double talk to me.

Would someone enlighten me on the contents of this message.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firewall scanning of ports
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firewall scanning of ports
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you will be scanned
by dawillie / April 2, 2005 5:32 AM PST

some intruders out there trying to plant a Trojan.

have a look at this link to give you some idea of Ports and what the popular Trojans are and what Ports they try and attack.

Then go to

and do a Port scan to determine what if any Ports are shown as open.

If you have Ports open or just 'closed' instead of 'stealthed', contact the folks at Sygate for instruction on how to better secure your PC.

Try not to contact your ISP.

Like the responders here, they may not have all the information concerning how to properly stealth your PC.

Collapse -
by phil66 / April 4, 2005 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: you will be scanned

I am new but not a newbie to firewalls and scans

I have visited the test site you suggested and find that the the two test sites I currently use gave me better info on the condition of my firewall. I am stealthed and have been from day one.

I do get scan attempts from other websites besides my ISP and they are blocked and I am given a warning. With the "Who is it" and the logs I am able to determine who and what ports they are attempting to scan.

My concern with my ISP I pay us$ to use there facilities and support. When I first posed the question why are you scanning my ports several months ago they answered send logs and we will attempt to eliminate. This latest request was a generic answer in my opinion Is it possible for noise to be causing scans
Unless I were to reinstall my o/s my nasties couldn't be cleaner

I can live with the scans as I can always find where they are coming from. But I have a problem accepting the answer that noise is causing scans

Your opinion on why noise is a factor

Please elaborate on statement" Do not contact your Isp" they are support and experts on there system why should they not be able to help

Thanks for your reply and looking forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Collapse -
consider your first message from them...
by dawillie / April 4, 2005 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Scans

send your firewall log.

ISP do test packet return speed by pinging your PC.

that is why you have your DNS and DHCP in your firewall settings.

you have not indicated the Ports where you are being probed so cannot comment on whether they are legitimate packet transfer or Trojans.

Also you should know that if you connect in any way with another person in say Messenger or somesuch, chances are that the ISP in question will 'ping' you.

As I understand this it is merely a test of the efficiency of their own systems and measures and measure packet return speed.

As to my comment about not contacting your ISP my experience has been that while they are knowledgeable about how to set up and deliver the service they may not neccessarily know an awful lot about firewals or even viruses and spyare.

Suggest also that if you would like to continue this discussion you take it to my email which is in my profile.

Collapse -
Firewall Scans
by phil66 / April 4, 2005 3:26 AM PDT

End of thread

Thanks for your reply

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?