Computer Help forum

General discussion

Firewall problem: Cannot get on some internet sites

I recently built a new system running AMD64 3200+, with DFI UT NF3 250gb motherboard, 1Gb ram, Windows XP Pro, ATI radeon X700 256gb ram video card. The most recent version of IE6 is installed. SP2 has been installed. When I try to go to certain internet sites (like National City Bank), this message comes up:

" The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
To attempt fixing network connectivity problems, click Tools, and then click "Diagnose Connection Problems..."

I think it may have something to do with a firewall that came with the motherboard. How can I get back into the setup for the board and uncheck the firewall?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kip

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firewall problem: Cannot get on some internet sites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firewall problem: Cannot get on some internet sites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think it might be your browser encryption not high enough

In reply to: Firewall problem: Cannot get on some internet sites

Normally banks require 128bit encryption. So take a look at that on HELP>about IE. It will tell you the encrpytion of that browser.

Collapse -
(NT) Encryption is 128 bit

In reply to: I think it might be your browser encryption not high enough

Collapse -
A couple questions.

In reply to: Firewall problem: Cannot get on some internet sites

Are you able to get any sites at all to show up? Have you cheked the security options in your Internet Options? Did you try using a different browser?

Collapse -
Can get to some sites

In reply to: A couple questions.

I use my.Yahoo as my home page. Recently, yahoo made some modifications to the page and now I cannot get the home page to come up on this computer. I googled the yahoo.mail and I can get the email from that address, but cannot get to the home page. Other sites, like National City Bank...I have the same problem. Many sites I can access, but some I cannot. Not sure why. My security setting is medium, and hasn't changed.

Collapse -
Browser

In reply to: A couple questions.

I also tried to access using Manilla FireFox but was unable to do so.

Collapse -
Suggestions...

In reply to: Browser

Try using the instructions/links below to download and install the latest version of Java and the Windows Script Engine:

Windows Script Engine Version 5.7
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en

Sun Java
Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the ''Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u3'' download button. Follow the prompts, accept the license agreement, then download the full ''Windows Offline Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Add/Remove Programs'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u3 from the downloaded installer.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Once Java is installed, if you're using IE7, then access the Internet Explorer "Internet Options" settings, "Security" tab, "Internet" icon, "Custom Settings" and change the security level to "Medium", instead of "Medium-High". If you're not using IE7, then set the same settings in IE6 to "Medium".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.