Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Firewall ports

I read an earlier message that mentioned that a firewall makes your ports become invisable. If this is true why would I need to setup ports for my applications. I use Pc-cillin,2004. I have not had any problems but I was just wondering. I used zone alarm in the past and did not set ports with that. why would I need to now? Thats a lot of rules to setup. Skip

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firewall ports
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firewall ports
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A discussion about knowing how things work.

In reply to: Firewall ports

Some want to drive a car and never to know how the thing works. Others will want to know all the details.

A firewall is not unlike a custom seatbelt since not only should you know how it works, but what it attaches to and more. A glaring issue with the term "firewall" is that it's not a standard. That is, one firewall (ZoneAlarm) is unlike another (a Linux based firewall).

As such, only if you know the rules and also what you want to protect against can you be assured you have solved your issue.

For me, I take the pinhole approach. I start with every port blocked and see what fails. Then I research what port and protocol needed to be open and may even restrict said port/protocol to a specific IP range. If I had the right firewall I would also be doing STATEFUL INSPECTION.

I know this may not answer your issue, but toss it out there so you can see that there is much more to firewalls than what most tell you.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: A discussion about knowing how things work.

In reply to: A discussion about knowing how things work.

I use the same approach as you Bob. I set my firewall to high security to force my apps to ask to be allowed on a certain port, then I research the correct port for that app. Then decide whether to allow it to go in or out or both. Then I find the correct IP address. I also set a port for my network and set the rules for it. using my IP range. Is this a correct approach to protect my network? Skip
P.S. why are "my discussions" empty?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) For "My Discussions" you click "Subscribe"

In reply to: Re: A discussion about knowing how things work.

Collapse -
Re: (NT) For "My Discussions" you click "Subscribe"

In reply to: (NT) For "My Discussions" you click "Subscribe"

Ah! Thanks again!

Collapse -

Your discussions are empty because you are an obsessive compulsive computer psycho. I AM SO COMPLETELY KIDDING. But I was wondering, are you running a network for a business? Is that why all the what must be tedious work with the ports?
Anyway, I am using ZApro, used the freeware for about 4 years and finally decided to upgrade after having to reformat my new pc after only one year, it was impossibly infected. I am also using a router, which I was told is sort of a hardware firewall. Is that true?
I have dsl, still use ie (I know, I know) I have no malware, but the person who built this thing insisted the router, and my very on the other side of the divide boyfriend NOT opening spam along with XPpro and SP2 (I disabled the ms firewall, even tho the builder doesn't like ZA, you have to have the patience to learn how to use it) would be enough to protect me. DENILE isn't just a river in Egypt is it?
relentless

Collapse -
Yes. Office, home, lab...

All three come under my review from time to time.

Since I don't want to deal with pests, worms and such I take the lock it down to the extreme approach and wait for the users to complain. It's much easier to open a single port for a good reason than to reload the OS on dozens of machines.

As to hardware or software firewalls, even the hardware firewalls have .... software inside.

Bob

Collapse -

"obsessive compulsive computer psycho" YOUR RIGHT! No, I have a home network. 2 desktops and a laptop on cable. It is true that most routers have a firewall. but you need to turn it on and configure it. to do this you need to tpye the router IP address in your address bar and, then the router config will popup. in xp you can find this addresss in control panel/ networks. There are over 65,000 ports so it is important to keep the ones you don't use closed. I have hundreds of applications so it is tediuos. you should have a good antivirus also. I recommend pc-cillin at antivirus.com they also have a free scanner that will help you with your problems. Reformating is good once a year. it makes you r puter brand new again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.