Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Firewall automatically shuts down.

by danny59 / January 12, 2007 9:23 PM PST

My PC is 2 yrs old, uses XP Home Edition, Windows firewall, AVG Free edition, and it has been virtually trouble free it's entire life. Recently though, when I boot up, I've been getting a warning that my firewall has been disabled. Usually I can go to the security center and turn it back on. However, this morning it wouldn't let me turn it back on, so I disconnected from the modem, paced around for a while, then plugged it back in, and presto, it works. It hardly seems secure that the firewall that's supposed to be protecting me shuts itself off during the night. Is this a common problem with Microsoft, and would I be wise to use a different firewall? I sort of wish my PC had given me more problems so I would be more adept at repairing it. Thanks for any help you can give.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firewall automatically shuts down.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firewall automatically shuts down.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by Donna Buenaventura / January 12, 2007 11:50 PM PST

See if the provided solutions in this articles will help solve the issue:

You cannot turn on or turn off the Windows Firewall setting on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

would I be wise to use a different firewall?
No problem if you will use a different firewall (if you want 2 way firewall) but if you are fine with how Windows Firewall in XP SP2 works then I think you can try to resolve it first.

You may also try to try the troubleshooting instruction for Windows Firewall mentioned in this article by Microsoft

Collapse -
Article doesn't specifically address my problem.
by danny59 / January 13, 2007 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

Thanks for replying Donna, but the trouble shooting article doesn't talk about the firewall turning itself off. The problem doesn't happen everyday, in fact it's probably only happened 4 or 5 times. I was worried that someone on the outside was tampering with my PC and shutting it down, if that's even possible. Today was the only time the security center wouldn't let me turn it on manually. It's pretty weird, at least to me it is.

Collapse -
Danny
by Donna Buenaventura / January 13, 2007 1:10 AM PST

Did you try the other article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914230 ?
I thought that article applies to you since you mentioned earlier that it wouldn't let you turn on the firewall again. You might want to give it a try.

The troubleshooting in the other article will allow you to examine if there's any problem with it:

Troubleshooting the firewall
Along with program compatibility issues, the Windows Firewall may experience other problems. Follow these steps to diagnose problems: 1. To verify that TCP/IP is functioning correctly, use the ping command to test the loopback address (127.0.0.1) and the assigned IP address.
2. Verify the configuration in the user interface to determine whether the firewall has been unintentionally set to Off or On with No Exceptions.
3. Use the netsh commands for Status and Configuration information to look for unintended settings that could be interfering with expected behavior.
4. Determine the status of the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service by typing the following at a command prompt:
sc query sharedaccess
(The short name of this service is SharedAccess.) Troubleshoot service startup based on the Win32 exit code if this service does not start.
5. Determine the status of the Ipnat.sys firewall driver by typing the following at a command prompt:
sc query ipnat
This command also returns the Win32 exit code from the last start try. If the driver is not starting, use troubleshooting steps that would apply to any other driver.
6. If the driver and service are both running, and no related errors exist in the event logs, use the Restore Defaults option on the Advanced tab of Windows Firewall properties to eliminate any potential problem configuration.
7. If the issue is still not resolved, look for policy settings that might produce the unexpected behavior. To do this, type GPResult /v > gpresult.txt at the command prompt, and then examine the resulting text file for configured policies that are related to the firewall.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

Give it a try too and let us know how it goes.

Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?