HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

firewall

by stylinbag / January 21, 2005 8:51 PM PST

if windows firewall is on.. does that means that the antivirus and anti spyware firewalls are disabled?
im not up on the bizzo. i have microsoft anti spyware and avast home antivirus.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Different tools
by Yew / January 21, 2005 9:16 PM PST
In reply to: firewall

Firewalls filter incoming and outgoing communications. Antivirus programs scan files on the computer for any sort of hidden and potentially destructive payload. Spyware cleanup programs get rid of programs that aren't quite a virus/worm/trojan, but are generally loathsome.

Each one performs a different task for a different purpose. Of course the last one, spyware removal, can basically be eliminated with careful program selection. Including selecting NOT to use Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. By and large, it doesn't matter what you use to replace them with -- so long as you don't just get a different program that uses the IE Trident rendering engine, it will likely improve your overall system security and vulnerability to spam, phishing attacks, email worms, and spyware.

Collapse -
Question?
by MAC52 / March 17, 2005 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Different tools

I have a question, does the use of a firewall -any- disables settings from applications, OS, browsers or doesn't let you do some things on your computer -anything.?

Collapse -
Firewalls Doesn't Alter...
by johnhighway-20437154072583586110149507896481 / March 17, 2005 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Question?

Firewall Applications do not alter the application, OS or browsers, it merely blocks the communication (the traffic) coming from and going to the Internet

[INTERNET]==traffic=<|FIREWALL|>=traffic==[YOUR COMPUTER]

This means that applications that require communication to the internet will be blocked depending on the 'firewall rules'.

Collapse -
TY
by MAC52 / March 17, 2005 2:56 AM PST

Thank you for your response. I didn't know that info.

Collapse -
Please clarify your question Mac.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Question?

If you have a firewall, it "may" affect how your browser works on the internet. For example, if you set your firewall to stop all internet traffic, then your browser will not be able to download web sites.

But all firewalls can be configured, (otherwise they would be worse than useless). That means you can change the settings on the firewall to allow some programs to access the internet, (eg a browser), and to disallow other programs access to the internet, (eg some spyware program you may have, which is trying to call home).

Normally firewalls configure themselves for browsers, but you can still change the settings. If your firewall settings are correct, then if any program "other" than a browser tries to access the internet, your firewall should warn you of the attempt, and ask you if you want to allow it access. That way, you have full control.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Firewall
by MAC52 / March 17, 2005 3:00 AM PST

That's really useful info you just posted. Thank you. I'm sure it will help me a lot.

Reagarding firewalls, I also heard that it's not appropiate to use 2 or 3 firewalls at the same time. Why is that?

And also, why I've heard that you should turn off the built-in Win XP firewall? Why is that?

Thank you for your responses.

Collapse -
You're welcome Mac, and
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Firewall

you have heard right that it is not advisable to run more than one firewall, it is also not necessary.

Consider this; Firewall1 is set to allow your browser to access the internet. Firewall 2 is set "not" to allow your browser to access the internet. Result? Conflict. Therefore stick with a good firewall, and only one.

With Windows XP there is a built in firewall, which is better than nothing. And many people have nothing. But it only blocks "incoming" unauthorised traffic, and not "outgoing". So if you had spyware on your computer, it would allow the spyware to phone home.

A 3rd party firewall, like ZoneAlarm, or Nortons, or McAfee, blocks unauthorised traffic both ways.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Which Firewall?
by MAC52 / March 17, 2005 3:13 AM PST

Which firewall do you recomend me and where can I get it?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
For me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Which Firewall?

it's ZoneAlarm from http://www.zonelabs.com

I use the Pro version, but used the free one for years without any problems.

Mark

Collapse -
Turn off WIndows firewall-use Zone Alarm
by pyecheri / January 22, 2005 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: firewall

I have followed the advice on www.Komando.com for over a year and have never had a problem with my computer. Read this article: (it explains why you need to turn off Windows' firewall and use something else, Zone Alarm is an excellent FREE firewall. http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=7770

I had already been using Zone Alarm for some time, so when I installed SP2, I simply turned off Windows' firewall. I feel totally confident in the advice I receive from Kim Komando's website. Good luck to you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.