Computer Help forum

General discussion

by muunlitr / April 6, 2011 5:44 AM PDT

The reason I put a ? is because I'm having a problem with opening emails with Powerpoint attachments. I use Open Office's Impress and never had a problem until a few months ago when I added Uniblue Powersuite. Now I can't open any of my Powerpoint/Impress files. I really need to fix this, can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firewall?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firewall?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While I don't use Uniblue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewall?

Or any such tool as it tends to create more problems than it solves, DID YOU TRY to fix this by uninstalling and reinstalling Open Office?

Yes it could be a busted File Association but with Uniblue in the discussion I fear it could have done more than break the association.

Collapse -
Uniblue - Powerpoint/Impress
by muunlitr / April 6, 2011 8:24 AM PDT

Yes, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Uniblue a few times with no change . .

Collapse -
Why would that help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 8:37 AM PDT

I asked "DID YOU TRY to fix this by uninstalling and reinstalling Open Office?"

Uniblue is not Open Office.

Collapse -
Re: opening powerpoint
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewall?

Personally, I wouldn't use any Uniblue program even if they offered me $59.95 to do it in stead of having to pay that.

Not sure it's related to your using that socalled optimization program. So lets try the usuals first.

1. What happens if you
- save the attachment to your hard disk
- run Impress
- use File>Open to open it

2. In My Computer (or whatever it's called in your version of Windows) or Windows Explorer browse to the the saved version, right click, choose Open With ... and choose Impress from the list?

Just experiments to see if the program works correctly. In that case it most likely only is a file association problem. Then please tell your OS (Windows ME, XP, Vista, 7?) so we can instruct you how to solve that.

Collapse -
Opening Powerpoint/Impress
by muunlitr / April 6, 2011 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: opening powerpoint

Kees - XP-Pro is what I use. I've saved the file to desktop but it won't open. It does initially look like it's downloading, ready to go, but never happens in Open Office Impress (which is what I use). Same, of course, with Explorer. I've never had this problem until about a year ago with an OO upgrade. I'm using the latest OO update 3.3. I've written to OO with no response to date.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?