Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Firefox vs IE6... default browser

by RobD / November 16, 2004 8:44 AM PST

Does anyone have a clue how to make IE6 stop acting as default browser in XP SP2? I've done all of the regular stuff which included file associations, clicking the button to make Firefox default browser, etc.,.

Maybe it's time to massage the registry?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox vs IE6... default browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox vs IE6... default browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Firefox vs IE6... default browser
by timwerx / November 16, 2004 9:12 AM PST

Did you uncheck the option to have IE check whether it's the default browser?

Collapse -
by RobD / November 18, 2004 2:59 PM PST

Absolutely. It's the first thing I did.

Collapse -
by sseanf / November 16, 2004 9:19 AM PST

If you havnt already done this:

Go to Start > Control Panel > add or remove programs > Set program access and defaults > [pulse-down the 'custom' bullet] > Choose a default web browser > [set the bullet] Firefox, and if you really hate IE, clear the checkbox next to it that says 'enable access to this program' - which is advisable...
Click ok, obviously...

*wooo* hope that helps

Collapse -
by RobD / November 18, 2004 3:00 PM PST

I did that as well..

Collapse -
by Yew / November 16, 2004 8:55 PM PST

Unfortunately, no matter what you do, some apps will ALWAYS use IE. Most notable is probably Office, but there are others, some not even MS made.

Collapse -
by RobD / November 18, 2004 3:07 PM PST

There is no doubt about it... that sucker is hardwired big time! Plus, as you've mentioned, other applications put a specific call for IE and only IE. Maybe once the "open source" thing catches on we'll have a REAL option.

My estimation of a repair or fix for this is something close to rewriting the Registry by hand :0( No, thanks, I gave at the office!

Sheeesh, it's monopoly in action for sure!

Thanks, anyway!

~Rob D~

Collapse -
by FastTrak / November 18, 2004 11:39 PM PST

Access Tools ... Internet Options to access the IE Program Options, Then Click the Programs Tab. Finally, uncheck the check box which reads Internet Explorer should check whether it is the default browser. That should do it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.