Mac OS forum

General discussion

Firefox V1.5 imaging problem?

by taboma / January 17, 2006 1:08 PM PST

Peter, I know that it should be posted to the Browsers Forum as I have done before.
I have had help that suggested preferrences. Tried that.
Here is the problem using Firefox V1.5 currently.
There are no giff files showing up with my screen. V1.0.7 is fine. All giff files show.
No giff images with V1.5
Peter, any ideas here for me and to correct this imaging problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox V1.5 imaging problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox V1.5 imaging problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is the URL
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 8:40 PM PST

of the site that you are going to?

Collapse -
How am I to use that?
by taboma / January 18, 2006 2:29 PM PST
In reply to: What is the URL

Peter, Here is what OSX help had to say about it.

Mac OS X 10.4, .Mac: Put URLs in the Notes field for Address Book syncing

Any information in an Address Book contact's URL field will not be synced between Address Book and .Mac, but data in the Notes field will be.
If you're syncing Address Book contacts in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger to .Mac and want to sync information from a URL field (such as "home page") in Address Book, copy and paste the URL into the contact's Notes field, which is at the bottom of each contact's card.

Important: If you reset the sync data on your computer, then choose .Mac as the master source to replace the data on your computer, you may lose all URL information in Address Book (since this information is not synced with .Mac). To avoid this issue, be sure to add URL information to each contact's Notes field, too.

Peter, Nice information if I knew what heck it means in the first place. I am still lost and Firefox V1.5 will still not load the GIFF images with Adelphia at all.

What is the problem and how do I solve the issue?
What is a contact's note field?
What is sync data?

I am really not into learning to be an IT person right now. I have too much going on at work that is mind-bogeling enough at the present time.
Thanks Peter,

Collapse -
Nice information
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 8:46 PM PST
In reply to: How am I to use that?

but absolutely nothing to do with the problem or what I asked.
I asked you for the URL of the Adelphia website that you cannot load Gif's on when using Firefox.
This is not IT person stuff, it's surfing 101. The URL is the thing line of text that is in the address bar of your browser and usually starts with http://

So, the URL of the offending site is?

Collapse -
Sorry Pete
by taboma / January 20, 2006 3:00 PM PST
In reply to: Nice information

I am having a migraine headache right now and I can hardly see the keyboard.
It would be
I will post back to you later after I can think of how to spell migraine or type it out for you.
What a bummer a migraine is to have. :

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry Pete

The site loads correctly under Safari.

When you use Safari to go there, does it load correctly for you or is this just a Firefox problem?

Migraine is spelled correctly, my system-wide spell checker tells me so. Yours should too

Collapse -
Adelphia and Migraine
by taboma / January 21, 2006 3:01 PM PST
In reply to: Adelphia

Pete, Yes. My Adelphia loads correctly with Safari.
Safari is OK! Seems to be a Firefox issue with OSX10.4.4 and the newer version of Firefox V1.5.

And, I am not alone there. Check out the browser's forum.
Many problems on the issue. Also, slow-downs with Firefox.
I had posted there before and mentioned that the Safari Browser was faster.
No real posts back because most on that forum are PC users. Not familiar with Safari.

I use Firefox to prevent Ad pop-ups for one reason. Safari does not have that feature that I am aware of.

John (mouseroma) tried to help me out with the newer Firefox issue.
May be a bug with the Firefox version for the Mac version. In the meantime I have Firefox V1.0.7 that works quite well and for others
Thanks for your help Pete, and my migraine is gone after a nights sleep.

Where is your system-wide spell checker located?
Dashboard?? I do have Merium Webster's dictionary there. I also have a five-day forcast set up for Brussels-Belgium right now in the dashboard that originates from the Brits. Check it out. Very nice!

My son will be in Belgium very soon.

Guess I will have to take another aspirin.

Collapse -
Firefox and Safari
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Adelphia and Migraine

Ok, plodding through your post.

In Safari, go to Safari on the Menu bar and choose "Block Pop-Up Windows"
Pop-Ups are now blocked. Now you can use Safari and not worry about Firefox.

System-Wide Spell checker. In the menubar of Safari, go to EDIT/Spelling/"Correct Spelling as you type" and the Spell checker is turned on in Safari. Other programs have similar.
It even works in the forums

Collapse -
Firefox and Safari
by taboma / January 22, 2006 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox and Safari

Thamks Peter. Will do that.

Collapse -
by taboma / January 23, 2006 12:01 PM PST
In reply to: Firefox and Safari

That seems to be if for now. Both are settled.
Thanks Pete and sorry to be plodding along in the Mac Forum.
Are you sure this will work (spell check) in the Forums as well?
How is that possible while in a Forum Post?
Where am I supposed to go to check spelling right now? ?

Well, guess what? It worked! Edit/Spelling.
Who knew about this feature of Safari??
Not me until now.
Had to plod-around the drop-down menu for the result.
Pete, what else is lurking under this drop-down menu?
Lots to learn here in Safari and Firefoxi.
Sure beats Microsoft!!!

Any more tips for us?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?