HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Firefox = spyware?

by Kees Bakker / June 4, 2006 7:00 AM PDT

In http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6620-0.html?forumID=14&threadID=181250&messageID=1982299 a member notes:
"Just installed a new Internet Security Suite, and guess what? On a Spyware check, it informed me that the Firefox Browser was recording my mouse clicks and keystrokes and was sending them back to a server!

I always thought the Firefox was the most secure Browser -- acording to the New York Times -- I guess they got it wrong this time like most other times!"

Any comments?

Kees

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox = spyware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox = spyware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firefox
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 4, 2006 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Firefox = spyware?

Hi Kees,

Had never heard of it - so, I did a search and came up with this:

Firefox Spyware infects IE?

What if there was an infection out there that could bypass Firefox and still get its grubby little paws on IE, and from there, the heart of your OS? What if that same infection could get past not only FF, but a whole raft of other (supposedly more secure) browsers too?

More: http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2005/03/firefox-spyware-infects-ie.html

Collapse -
Kees, I use Firefox about 99% of the time...
by Larry38 / June 4, 2006 7:53 AM PDT

The only thing that ever shows up, is when I scan with Ewido, and Ewido will find several low grade cookies.
Nothing to be concerned about.

Maybe that member will post back as to what scan found those items. I would also like to know.
Larry

Collapse -
This is fun isn't it? .. we thought that running away
by Gakada / June 4, 2006 2:28 PM PDT

or avoid from using something, is more secure, and then .. somewhere in the corner... they catch you up by surprize.

So, at this time.. any suggestion to avoid/run from the said problem.. or just wait for an uppdate..?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'll wait for an update! Unexpected always out there.
by glenn30 / June 4, 2006 11:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
ALEXA TOOLBAR was capturing mouse clicks......
Collapse -
MVPS HOST FILE. WITH FIREFOX
by dogteams1 / June 5, 2006 7:38 AM PDT

I get some strange things happen when i run the MVPS-HostFile with Firefox .Firefox might say you can'nt connect to Ad.Doubleclick.net 127.000.
I fixed the problem it was something to do with Firewall.(Zonealarm)
But about the cookies I run Ewido,or Counterspy both will pick-up same cookie (COM.COM) Which is from Cnet.
Its according to which 1 i run first. Thats about it,
but i do clean IE's plus Firefox's cookies&temps out each nite plus cache.

Dogteams1

Collapse -
Ad.Doubleclick.net is an adware source..
by Gakada / June 5, 2006 5:40 PM PDT

you shouldn't fix it...

host file already putting it on their list and loop back to 127.0.0.0 ..

that's how a host files works..

Collapse -
To my hosts file
by PudgyOne / June 5, 2006 7:04 PM PDT

To my hosts file, I have added com.com

It is not needed for here. Yahoo's anti-spy toolbar detects it as a tracking cookie.

I have also added all the websites that I don't want my children to go to. If you really want to get your wife mad at you, you can add the websites where she spends the money at. Really comes in handy.

I do keep on finding that when I use Internet Explorer, I keep finding some type of spyware called Effective and it's value is put into the registry.

Go to here

http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/online-tools/tmas-web-scan.exe

and download the Trend Micro Spyware for the web. I don't know how much longer it's going to be here to download, but I find out it's a very handy tool. Put it in a folder somewhere. Copy it from the folder and put it on your desktop and run it. If Zone alarm asks you if you want it to access the web, tell it no. After you use it, your results will be shown and you can have the program remove the spyware it finds. then when you reboot your computer the spyware is gone and so it the program, that why you make a copy of it.

Rick

Collapse -
I Must've Been Wrong!! I Always Believed Alexa was Installed
by tobeach / June 5, 2006 6:12 PM PDT

by MS as it's own spyware in the OS install!
Reasoning: Brand new computer, no OS. I do initial install of XP Pro SP1. Do a "transfer" of Spybot via a USB storage drive along with current defs. I install same and at FIRST scan, computer not yet on net, Spybot finds and removes several "Alexa Related" entries. MRUs I thought or maybe IEs' layered service providers. Definitely haven't installed any toolbars. Regardless from whom it comes (even Google), the very name "Toolbar" is enough to make me refuse the product or update PERIOD! Better safe than sorry. This is before installing Sun Java & Mozilla. Oh well...back to the drawing board! Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.