General discussion

Firefox&SBCYahoo

Hey..I am a computer newbie. I am interested in downloading the Firefox 1.0 browser. My basic concern is if I can do this safely without negatively affecting my already existing SBCYahoo DSL connection. Suggestions? What happens when I download it? Does it simply replace my default internet Explorer browser without affecting my already existing SBCYahoo homepage? Thanks for any helpful info. PS I am running on a Windows XP platform.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Firefox&SBCYahoo
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Firefox&SBCYahoo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

Dear elmodlo,

When you download firefox, it will install a new browser for you. Your internet explorer will stay unaffected. In fact, you will be able to use both at once if you wish.

I'm not sur what the SBCYahoo homepage is, but firefox will not affect anything other than just itself. You may also remove it, and bring your computer back to the state it was before installation.

Upon first run of firefox, it will inquire you upon whether you want it to be your "default" browser. If this is true, then accept. If you wish to keep internet explorer, or whatever the yahoo thing is, then just deny, and you will simply have to open firefox yourself when you wish to use it.

-AInTeL

- Collapse -
Firefox and SBC Yahoo!

I used to have SBC Yahoo! DSL until I moved out of their service area. Downloading Firefox will not affect your DSL service in any way. Also, all of the settings on Internet Explorer 6.0 will remain the same, and fully functional.

However, you will have to adjust the settings in Firefox so that SBC Yahoo! is set as the default homepage. Just click "tools" on the menu bar, and select "options." On the page that is displayed, you can tell it what you want your homepage to be, as well as if you want it to be your defalt browser.

As an added convenience, Firefox will ask you if your want to import your favorites from IE after installation.

**Note** While Firefox is a lot more secure than Internet Explorer, and has more features (tabbed browsing, download manager, themes, etc), you must leave IE6.0 installed in order to access Windows Updates. Microsoft currently blocks all third-party browsers from their update service. Sad

Hope this helps,
John

CNET Forums

Forum Info