Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox Printing Problems

by martinstanley / April 5, 2009 4:03 AM PDT

I keep running into problems printing pages (especially on Blogspot) in Firefox.

For example, this page...
http://purepastries.blogspot.com/2008/11/maple-leaf-cookies.html

...Prints only the first page and then several pages with only the sidebar showing.

I've run into this problem on MANY MANY MANY sites and I cannot find any information on how to fix it.

The pages that I cannot get to print right in Firefox print fine in Chrome and IE.

Please help. I've tried posting in the Firefox forums on several occasions and nobody ever helps me.

Is there a workaround or an addon or something that will let Firefox users print Blogspot pages that are longer than one page long?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox Printing Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox Printing Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A workaround...
by John.Wilkinson / April 5, 2009 7:57 AM PDT

I know of no easy fix for the CSS layout issue, but you can work around it by selecting all of the text/images, starting with the date and going down to the end of the post, then pressing Ctrl + P and choosing to print the Selection rather than the entire page. That will also enable you to print more than Internet Explorer and Chrome do by default since the headers, side navigation column, etc. will not be printed.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Solution to Firefox Blogger/Blogspot printing problem
by Ben_U / April 13, 2009 4:29 AM PDT

I've Firefox & IE7 in Windows on a PC. Under "#main-wrapper" in the CSS I found this setting: "overflow:hidden". Removing it lets me print out more than one page of a Blogger "new template" blog in Firefox. (I left "overflow:hidden" in place for "#sidebar-wrapper" which I have set to disappear from printing anyway). The "overflow:hidden" is "fix for long text breaking sidebar float in IE" according to a comment next to it.

Even better, instead of removing "overflow:hidden" from under "#main-wrapper", you can leave it there (I ended up restoring it), if you have added a section (outside the "b:skin" tags, after the closing tag /b:skin), like:

<style media='print' type='text/css'>

</style>

In it you put special settings which are applied only for printing and print preview.

Include in it:

#main-wrapper {overflow:visible}

I included a bunch of stuff:

<style media='print' type='text/css'>
#navbar, #navbar1, #navbar-iframe, #sidebar-wrapper, .sidebar, #footer-wrapper, .headerimage, .HTML1, .imagebar, #imagebar, .opener, #crosscol-wrapper {display:none;float:none;height:0;}
#main, .main, .Blog, #Blog1 {overflow:visible;width:98%;float:none;}
.printfix {width:20%;}
</style>

However, then I already had a problem with Internet Explorer print preview refusing to show the recentest post's title on the home page, and now I ended up with with Internet Explorer print preview refusing to show the recentest post at all on the home page - while leaving space for it. I tried changing various settings but something always went wrong as a result with IE or Firefox. Maybe I missed a solution in that direction.

Finally I stripped out all div containers of the blog posts. As I recall, they included outer-wrapper, main-wrapper, wrap2, maybe another. You just have to go through the CSS - not just the style definitions but the layout in html - to find them all. That's why you don't see "#main-wrapper" and suchlike in my printing style section above; I've stripped main-wrapper out of the layout entirely. Of course, that means playing around with the CSS to achieve the same effects which one had gotten via main-wrapper etc.

(By the way, I didn't need to remove anything that you would find only by expanding the widgets; well, I did some playing around there, too, but not for the printing problem.)

Now both IE & Firefox seem to handle print preview of my blog just fine. (I haven't actually printed it out, but the print preview looks as I want it to look.) Note: when I run Firefox print preview OF Blogspot's blog-edit preview, Firefox shows empty extra pages at the end, but Firefox does not show those empty extra pages when I run Firefox print preview at the blog itself.) http://csp3.blogspot.com/

Collapse -
Follow-up
by Ben_U / April 13, 2009 4:39 AM PDT

I should note that some of the stuff in my printing style section ("HTML1," ".printfix," etc.) is for my blog only, it's just an example. But the navbar stuff in there may be useful for others.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?