Windows Vista forum

General discussion

firefox often crashed

by ButetJr / January 27, 2009 8:04 PM PST

Hi...
I'm using windows vista service pack 2. And I found that I often got my firefox crashed after a few hours. I mean, it can't open any website and the status is "stop". When i try to "kill" it using task manager under process tab...I can't "end process" firefox. I'm using version 3.03. Any idea what I should do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: firefox often crashed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: firefox often crashed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given the details and isn't that BETA still?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2009 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: firefox often crashed

There is not real indication of where the error is. However today I'm finding people that think that these machines and softwares should be trouble free and run for hours. What you could do is close all instances of the browser every 2 hours and if you found it only runs for 3 hours then you would side step the issue.

-> Another thought. When I can't end task a program I find I can log out and force the issue.

Logging out and back in is faster for me than a reboot.

I also notice you are running the SP2 which I thought was still beta. That means there can be bugs. http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09%2F01%2F20%2F2028250&from=rss and other posts confirm it's not out yet.
Bob

Collapse -
Firefox has a reset defaults button.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2009 11:21 PM PST
Collapse -
SP2?
by THUNDERxRAGE / January 28, 2009 5:04 PM PST

All I know is that I have SP1. There is no SP2 ever shown available thru Windows Update.

I do have FF3 and no problem for me. I have a browser opened for days (used only for crossbrowsing test on a new website), still working just grand. It may be your computer, somehow.

IE7 still reigns for me. Happy

Collapse -
by ButetJr / January 28, 2009 5:17 PM PST
In reply to: SP2?

i'm using hp notebook, pavillion dv4.

Collapse -
by ButetJr / January 28, 2009 5:15 PM PST

sorry my bad...it's actually SP1...

Collapse -
RAM
by THUNDERxRAGE / January 28, 2009 7:54 PM PST
In reply to: ...

How much RAM (memory) do you have?

Collapse -
RAM
by ButetJr / January 29, 2009 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: RAM

2gb ram...I try to log off as someone above suggested me...but, the firefox still not responding..."firefox is still running, bla, bla, bla"
and one more thing is my IE also often not responding...do u all think it's possible that my laptop has something to do with this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.