Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox no longer picking up video feeds

by bvanmetre / May 30, 2010 4:31 PM PDT

Evening all, I was just wondering if people were having trouble playing back streaming video off of sites like Justin.tv, UStream, channelsurfing.net, etc. Seems a couple of weeks ago, around the time Firefox updated last, this feature stopped working. No Script, an add-on I've been using and love also updated close to the same time as well. I've used both programs with great success on these sites before except that now, even though neither of their settings have changed, I can't play back anything. I'm stuck using IE! Ugh! Now, 3 of my machines, all different makes and models, are having the exact same problem. I've included their specs here, but I really feel that it has something to do with Firefox and/or an add-on. Taking the No Script off, doesn't seem to help either. Any thoughts anyone?

Dell 9300 Inspiron, 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 60GB harddrive, ATI Mobility Radeon X300 video card, Windows XP SP3

Dell 8300 Dimension 2.6GHz HT, 3GB RAM, 120GB & 500GB harddrive, ATI Radeon 9800 video card, Windows XP SP3

HP Pavilion a230n 2.08GHz AMD, 512MB RAM, 60GB & 120GB harddrive, NIVIDA GeForce 4Mx video card, Windows XP SP3

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox no longer picking up video feeds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox no longer picking up video feeds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They seem to work for me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 9:32 PM PDT

I'm using Firefox v 3.6.3 and have just tried both Justin.tv and UStream.

In fact I watched the Stork Nest Live from Dumbravioara, Romania, Europe in Justin.tv, Happy

I didn't try the channelsurfing.net site.

You don't say what happens when you get to these sites with the video feeds. Do you get a blank video placeholder, or error messages? Both the two I tried use Adobe's Flash Player 10, and my guess is that your Firefox Adobe Flash player is either disabled, or is no longer working.

You can check if the plugin is disabled by going to Firefox > Tools > Add-ons, then the Plugins tab. If it is enabled, then I would re-install Adobe.

To do that, I would first use Adobe's Flash Uninstaller tool to remove all traces of Flash, reboot the system, (just to make sure the registry is properly updated), then re-install Flash.

How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player.

Install Adobe Flash Player - BEWARE, note the option to include "Free McAfee

Collapse -
Attempted the uninstall/reinstall of Flash
by bvanmetre / May 31, 2010 3:21 AM PDT

You were right in that I forgot to say what happened when I tried to pull the videos up. The page loads, but the actual stream stays black, doesn't show anything, including any embeded controls or the like. The rest of the page however loads up just fine even when I allow all scripts to run. So I downloaded the uninstaller, closed everything, uninstalled Flash, rebooted, re-installed flash and still have the same problem. The Shockwave Flash player is enabled in my Add-ons, and when I go to the Adobe site itself, all the Flash stuff works. It just seems to be limited to these specific sites for some reason. Any other thoughts?

Collapse -
Hmm strange.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 31, 2010 9:11 PM PDT

I'm not sure how to proceed with this problem.

Videos work in IE but not in Firefox, and you have uninstalled and re-installed Adobe's Flash.

Try clearing Firefox's cache;

1. Launch Firefox
2. Select Tools > Clear Recent History
3. In the Clear Recent History pop-up, select "Everything" from the Time range to clear drop-down list box
4. Click on Clear Now
5. Close Firefox and re-launch

Is it just these 3 sites, or all sites that show Flash Videos?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?